Snapshots, Image Tool and Compressor problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mswt, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mswt

mswt Bit poster

Version 3, Build 5584

After a few months use of a Vista Image I wanted to remove the snapshots and then reduce the hdd size.

I deleted a few of the earlier snapshots but that took an age each time and on reading the user guide found that when snapshots are deleted in Snapshot manager the changes are rolled into the next snapshot (i.e. its not just a delete).

So I then used the Image Tool to roll all snapshots together in one go. I let it run overnight. It gave me the message all completed perfectly.

The hdd file reduced in size from 50GB to 20GB.

But when I started the image in Desktop it crashed on booting Vista with a ntoskrnl.exe error.

I went in and deleted the snapshots folder through Finder (why weren't they deleted by the Image tool?).

But still the same error in Vista.

The compressor tool still isn't available in the menu options on Parallels desktop even though I have run the Image Tool.

I have a clone of the original setup, so not all is lost but...

How to best tidy up an image to reduce the size of the image and clean up unwanted snapshots?

Image tool seemed to trash my Vista Image (but it did compact my hdd) and even after I ran Image Tool I still couldn't choose Compressor.

Many thanks.

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Mswt,

Please sorry for the inconveniences. We are aware of such problems with Parallels Image Tool. Our developers are working to fix them.

Best regards,
    Xenos