SoftPhone with Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mcmcom, Jul 10, 2007.

1. mcmcom

mcmcom Bit poster

We are using the Nortel i2050 softphones for our workers. I just got parallels installed and tried to connect the usb headset to my Win XP running on Parallels. It all works well USB did recgonize the headset and installed it properly. Only problem is when i try to run the i2050 softphone and use this headset i can only hear static and cannot talk through the microphone.

Anyone have any ideas that may help me figure this out.

thanks in advance,
    mcm

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello mcmcom
    Please provide some information about your Mac
    What build of Parallels are you running?

3. mcmcom

mcmcom Bit poster

Hi Ankou,

thanks for responding.
    My Parallel installation is the latest build for version 2. I dont have the exact build number with me at the moment because the computer is not in my possession right now but it is version 2 of Parallels and has the latest build as i did the "Check for Upgrades" yesterday.

Also the mac is a brand new intel base MAC BOOK PRO.

Prior to upgrading to the latest build i could not even get the USB SoftPhone Headset to even get recgonized by XP. I kept getting an error stating that the USB device was already in use. After the upgrade to the latest build XP Detected and installed the USB headset fine. It was recgonized properly by both XP and the Nortel SoftPhone application. However, as i stated in the above post, there is some issue with sound hardware or something like that. once its plugged in and running all that i can hear is static through the ear piece and cannot use the microphone.

Later this afternoon i will get the computer back and provide more detailed information about the build if its necessary.

thanks again,
    mcm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  4. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

Here's a workaround that works for me....

I use Avaya softphone, but the principal should be the same.
    First, connect the headset and change the Audio output on the Mac to the Headset (I assume yours is USB). I use a Plantronics USB headset, but most others should work the same.
    Next, fire up Parallels and Windows. Do not connect the Headset USB device to Parallels/Windows. Fire up the softphone and use the default audio device. Test the application. It should work.
    I have used Parallels for quite some time and the direct connection of the headset to Windows has never worked well for me, but this workaroud has.
    Caveat** All audio for both Mac and Windows will go through the headset. This is not an issue to me, but if you are used to being able to split your audio devices, this might be an anoyance.
    It is important that you have the headset inserted prior to starting Parallels. It has proven problematic to me and I usually have to restart if I don't do it that way.
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  5. mcmcom

mcmcom Bit poster

i cannot seem to get the MAC to recgonize this USB Headset. Should the mac find it when i plug it in? I dont think this headset is supported on a MAC, and i cannot seem to get this working.

thanks,
    mcm

6. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

I would try a Plantronics USB headset

Most Plantronics USB headsets are plug-and-play on a Mac. I got mine for about $50.00, so not very expensive. It DOES have to be recognized on OS X for the workaround to work. Hope this helps.

7. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

i've been using VMWare for the last 3 months or so because of this ongoing problem with soft phones / USB headsets etc. I've just tried the new build 4560 and it's still the same problem - totally distorted voice in earpiece. I really don't get it - this problem was identified months ago and it still hasn't been fixed. VMWare works perfectly well with the softphone software and Plantronics CS50/60 - why can't Parallels? i know there's a work around but that shouldn't be neccessary.
    It makes the program completely unusable for me!

8. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

I have to agree.....

I have done the same testing with Avaya's softphone. VMWare does work much better for this application. No workaround necessary.

9. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please check Parallels Desktop build number, make sure Parallels Tools are installed and please install the original device drivers in Windows,

Best regards,
    John