Some help please? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChausMac, Jul 11, 2007.

1. ChausMac

ChausMac Bit poster

Hi!

I just got my self a copy of parallels but was wondering: I have at work a computer running win98. old, i know but there's a reason... There's a piece of software installed there, a patient database (i am indeed a doctor) but I don't have an installation disc or anything for it. it was made by a friend many years ago but seems to dun a series of .dll's and specific lines on startup which have stopped me from upgrading to much newer systems.

I've tried a million things to try to copy the program onto a newer OS but no luck yet, and the guy who made it in the first place moved to Guatemala some years ago, and i lost contact with him.

So.....

I recently bought a macbook (white C2D 2.0ghz) and was wondering whether it's possible to create an image from say an external hard drive running a copy of my other computer's HDD, or if parallels can only run an OS if it's directly insalled from a CD (or image).

The idea would be to be able to replace the older computer at the office and juse carry around the macbook.

Thanks a lot

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

3. Arielbs

Arielbs Bit poster

This isn't really a technical post, but wouldn't carrying around your patient database on a laptop be a HUGE potential breach of privacy?