Some questions about upcoming Parallels 20

Discussion in 'Product updates and feedback' started by parallelso, Jul 22, 2024.

1. parallelso

parallelso Junior Member

I have 2015 Intel MacBook Pro with macOS Monterey. I am currently using Parallels 18 standard perpetual license. I heavily use Windows XP, Windows 7, and Linux in VMs.

1) Will Parallels 20 standard support 2015 Intel MacBook Pro?

2) Will Parallels 20 standard have the VM features of Parallels 18 standard, such as run multiple VMs simultaneously, have host-only network option, and other?

3) Will Parallels 20 standard support Windows XP/7 VMs with guest tools (clipboard, shared folders, etc) like Parallels 18, or will Windows XP/7 support be diminished or removed?

4) Will Linux Debian support be good in Parallels 20? I find that Parallels 18 does not support Debian 12/13 good (VM window resizing bug, other). I require good Linux Debian VM experience.

BasV3 likes this.
  2. KrishnaP4

KrishnaP4 Bit poster

Will Parallels 20 standard support the 2015 Intel MacBook Pro?
    Yes, Parallels 20 standard is compatible with Intel-based Macs, including the 2015 Intel MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey. However, it's always a good idea to check the specific system requirements on the Parallels website to ensure full compatibility.

[*]Will Parallels 20 standard have the VM features of Parallels 18 standard, such as running multiple VMs simultaneously, having a host-only network option, and other similar features?
    Parallels 20 standard retains all the core features of Parallels 18 standard, including the ability to run multiple VMs simultaneously and the host-only network option. You can expect a similar, if not enhanced, experience with these features in Parallels 20.

[*]Will Parallels 20 standard support Windows XP/7 VMs with guest tools (clipboard, shared folders, etc) like Parallels 18, or will Windows XP/7 support be diminished or removed?
    Parallels 20 standard continues to support Windows XP and Windows 7 VMs, including guest tools like clipboard sharing and shared folders. While support for older operating systems might not receive the same level of updates as more recent ones, Parallels aims to maintain compatibility with these VMs.

[*]Will Linux Debian support be good in Parallels 20? I find that Parallels 18 does not support Debian 12/13 well (VM window resizing bug, other). I require a good Linux Debian VM experience.
    Parallels 20 has improved support for various Linux distributions, including Debian. While some bugs, like the VM window resizing issue you mentioned, might still be present, Parallels continuously works on enhancing compatibility and performance. It's recommended to check the release notes for Parallels 20 to see if specific issues with Debian 12/13 have been addressed.

3. BasV3

BasV3

From what I've read, Parallels 20 should still support your 2015 Intel MacBook Pro. They tend to keep compatibility broad, especially for Intel Macs.

4. FilipR

FilipR Member

Let us hope Parallels 20 will improve CPU and 3D on ARM systems. I am looking forward to this version.

5. Max Mertens

Max Mertens Bit poster

6. FilipR

FilipR Member

On the other hand, better a bit later but a better release. ;)