Sound Recording

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by GaryJ73167, Oct 29, 2006.

1. GaryJ73167

GaryJ73167 Bit poster

First off, i want to say hello to everyone. I am new to this forum and am hoping to use Parallels Desktop for my MAC for a long time.

My question - I use a sound recorder for XP called A/R [Audio Record]. The reason that i use this, I subscribe to sirius internet radio, and, am not always available to listen to the howard stern show. So, this is a very basic program that records system audio on a user configurable schedule that records it for me, and, I can listen to it at a later time.

Anyway, like I said, this audio recording program is simple to install and configure. The problem that I am having, is, no matter what i set the sound source (for recording), it only seems to record from the built in MIC for my iMac. i am hoping I am wording this correct.

For example, if I set it to record using "Stereo Mix", "Mono Mix" ,"CD", "Line In"...etc.,...etc, it really doesent matter...it always uses the internal mic for my recording device..

I have triple checked all of my audio proerties within XP (through paralells), and, everything looks fine to me.

Can someone please tell me if I am missing some type of setting here? I know the audio recording software is set right because I have used it a million times on my windows PC, so, this problem must lie somewhere in Paralells. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. drtimhill

drtimhill Member

Frankly, this kind of "real-time" type stuff is pushing the edge for any VM system. Why not look into an equivalent Mac based solution? I user Audio Hijack Pro for my audio recording, and it works great.

--Tim

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Parallels will use the default OSX device for both input and output. You need to change the setting in OSX to use whatever you want as source,then Parallels will (OK should) use it.

4. GaryJ73167

GaryJ73167 Bit poster

joem,

I agree with you. I think you are 100% correct. however, when I go into my system preferences on my iMac, here are my only options listed :

Internal Microphone
    Line In
    Sunflower (2 Ch)
    Sunflower (16 Ch)

There is nothing listed for "System sounds" or anything of that nature. Is there somewhere else that I shouls be checking ?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Gary

5. cybervet1

cybervet1 Bit poster

Line In Settings in Parallels

Thank you for this thread. I am new to Parallels but have been using WinXP Pro running in BootCamp for about a year and was pleased with it's performance other than the invonvenience of having to reboot in XP.

One of my heavily used apps in XP is a music recording and editing program that I use to record old vinyls, clean them up and burn them to CD's for the car and office (not yet into IPod).

I have been frustrated for a couple of weeks trying ot figure out how to get Parallels to recognize any inpuyt but the "built-in mic". In Boot Camp the SigmaTel Audio driver took care of this just fine. In Parallels DT SigmaTel became non-functional and the Intel(r) Integrated Audio driver took over.

The answer in this thread, "set preference in Mac OS to line-in" solved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Another problem I was having was a line hum when the "amplifier out" was plugged into the "line-in" jack on the MacBook Pro. A high quality Monster RCA to miniplug cable for connecting to iPods solved the problem. The cheaper cable I was using was ultimately not worth the money I paid for it. This is not the place to save money if you want clean audio.

MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Mac OS10.4.9, WinXPPro,Parallels Build 3188