sound stops in XP after sometime

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by alperi, Jul 7, 2006.

1. alperi

alperi Bit poster

Hi all,

I am running the final version of Parallels on my iMac Core Duo with WinXP SP2 as the guest OS. I have installed Parallels Tools on XP.

Sound works fine initially, but then randomly stops working. To get it back working I need to log off and log back on my XP session. (Rebooting XP works as well.)

Is this a known bug?

Thanks.

2. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

You're one step ahead of me. I appear to have no sound at all, and in the Sound control panel, XP indicates that I have no sound device or speakers. It appears to be the fly in my Tivo-to-Go ointment.

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

With XP you wont have sound until you install the parallels tools.

My sound cuts out after a while also... It's really annoying...

4. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

Well, I thought I had solved this. I deleted and reinstalled a Default Audio sound device in the property page editor. All seemed to go well inside XP with the detection of a new piece of hardware, the requirement to insert my Win disk, etc. But even after an apparently successful installation, no sound.

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

Um yeah, I know, I have been through the Tools installation with every upgrade. But this time nothing is working.

6. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Junior Member

I noticed that all my sound hardware in the Sound control panel was grayed out. Then, I noticed in the Hardware tab of the control panel, that the Media Control Device indicated that the driver needed to be reinstalled. So, I clicked there, and after much reinstallation and installation of devices, all is working well now.