Spotlight Not Working under RC1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by njl, May 21, 2006.

1. njl

njl Bit poster

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed that Spotlight has seemed to stop working under RC1. I didn't notice this under B5 or B6. I tried several things I found under this forum and others, and in the end the only thing that fixed it was uninstalling RC1. I think the index is fine, but the GUI seems hosed. It just returns "No Results Found" for everything.

Anyone else seeing this and have suggestions?

Thanks,
    NJ

2. steve3

steve3 Member

Spotlight is fine on my work MBP and home iMacs, so it's not always that way.

3. wesley

wesley Pro

I've had a Spotlight problem around beta4, but after fixing it (I think I posted my solution in a thread here back then) it never became an issue for me again. Sad to hear that none of the suggested remedies helped.

4. supriyo

supriyo Junior Member

Hi,
    Please try two things. Place the parallels disk image folder in the privacy list of spotlight and reindex the whole hard drive again. I this does not solve the problem, remove the file com.apple.spotlight.plist from the folder /[your home directory]/Library/Preferences, and reindex.

There is a chance that it should come back up.

5. njl

njl Bit poster

hi everyone .... thanks for the replies. Wesley, I saw that thread and tried all of the suggestions. Removing the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist. It seemed to work for a little while....

It seems to fix itself if I log out and log in again (sometimes once ... sometimes multiple times). It's really weird.

supriyo ... right now it's working but I'll try your ideas next.

thanks everyone,
    nj

6. njl

njl Bit poster

ok, it seems like the fix is to go into activity monitor and kill the SystemUIServer. Any idea what from Parallels might affect the UI? While this fixes the problem I'm assuming it shouldn't be necessary.

-nj

7. njl

njl Bit poster

anyone have any ideas on what might be causing the UI Server to have problems? Sometimes I have to restart SystemUIServer 3-4 times, sometimes once. It definitely seems to be the root cause though ....