Stability

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mawa_73527, Nov 22, 2007.

1. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Hi,

pll's is growing increasingly instable. Performace is slow and pll's crashes more often! Especially when working on memory intensive files!

How and when is a new release of pll's due?

2. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

I found that pll's tools getting suck. When ending Pll's they do not end ... They also make the system Win XP unstable.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

have you got enough empty HD space ?

try cloning to a Firewire external disk nd running the hdd file from there

Hugh W

4. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

I have the system on seperate HDD 750 GB. Besides this I have a raid array (MAC SOFTWARE) with 1,5 TB. Could you please detail waht you said ...?!?

5. Resolver

Resolver Member

Hello Mawa_73527 !

These tremendous amounts of hard drive storage will be helpful to understand how it works with parallels. Please describe me your experience with applying Parallels software for such big amounts of memory.

My email: ivanc@parallels.com

6. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

Pll's and Memory

At first I had only one HDD with 250 GB. It did not take long to realize that this was inadequate. I bought another two 250 GB HDD's. This helped and I switched fully to the Mac (I had been using my PC parallel to my Mac). In the meantime time I got more ram and I was away working (now 9 GB of ram).

In another thread I described my problems with kerning in my DTP work in Pll's. I had small differences to a stand alone win XP stations. I got another HDD 750 GB with 32 MB cahce. This HDD is a rocket and works fantastic. I installed boot camp there but never really used it and then unistalled boot camp.

Now I work on a mac 2x2,66 GHZ and as mentionened the 750 GB Hdd and 1,5 TB raid. I save most data on NAS drives.

The system works very good and is very reliable in professional work. I reserve 2GB for win XP. I run handbrake parallel to Pll's. I have multiple windows open in both win and mac. I have a library of 30.000 images in aperture which I work with every day. I also use Photoshop CS3. All these work fine together. I was never able to max out the ram so I think I am on a safe side here.

Lately and especailly after switching to Leopard the win tools in Pll's always get stuck when closing down windows. I always close win XP down and then quit Pll's.

I did not install Pll's anew. I just ported the user data and programmes to the new installation of Leopard. Sometimes my c drive from win XP does get mounted in OSX Leo.

I am waiting for the new release of Pll's wchich will fully support Leopard. I do not work with Beta releases.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try re-installing the Parallels application.

8. mawa_73527

mawa_73527 Member

what risks are involved?

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Back-up first.
    Never had an issue with it before, it shouldn't touch your .hdd files.