Stamps.com 25lb USB digital scale is "grabbed" by OSX before Parallels sees it

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dburr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. dburr

dburr Junior Member

I use Stamps.com (www.stamps.com) which is an online postage service. This service includes a digital scale that connects to the computer via USB, so that all you have to do is type in the destination address, put the package on the scale, and click a button, and the computer weighs it and automatically calculates the correct postage.

I'm trying to use this under Parallels, but every time I try plugging in the scale, Parallels pops up with the error message "Another program has grabbed this USB device; please try again in 30 seconds or terminate the offending program." (sorry I don't have the exact text of the error message handy; I'm at work right now) I have tried unplugging and replugging, going into the Device menu and attempting to manually enable the stamps.com scale device (which DOES appear there), but I always get this error message.

I think that what's happening is that Mac OS X is seeing this device and "grabbing" control of it before Parallels has a chance to. (it may be that the USB scale emulates a USB to serial interface, which Mac OS X is latching on to) Is there a way of telling Mac OS X to ignore this device, so that Paralells can use it? Thanks!

2. iHuman

iHuman Bit poster

Did you ever find an answer for this? I am having the same problem...

thanks,
    elaine