Start Button Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bailey, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Bailey

Bailey Bit poster

Upgraded to 4.0. Am running coherence, hiding the taskbar. I have the Start Button on the dock. Problem is I can click many times on the Start Button and not get the menu. I will eventually get the menu, but I want it every time I click on it.

2. galochka

galochka Hunter

Hello,

how many times did you click on Start icon on the Dosk?

In general it takes 2 times to activate Start menu (one click to activate Parallels Desktop and one more click to activate Start Menu)

3. Bailey

Bailey Bit poster

I read in another post about double clicking to get the menu. That works most all of the time. I have had to click multiple times in a row quickly to get it to come up. It is just quirky.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It should work only from the second click, if Windows applications are not in focus,
    1 st click - focus is gained
    2 nd Start button activated

5. dcollins4131

dcollins4131 Bit poster

I just did an normal update to 4.0 (build 4.0.3810), and now in coherence mode and the "start" menu on the dock, I use to be able to click and have the menu come up, but now nothing, and it's doesn't matter how many times I click on it. Any suggestions.

6. John@Parallels

Could you please reinstall Parallels Tools and check,?

7. jbeir

jbeir Bit poster

Reinstalled Tools, didn't work

I reinstalled Tools, rebooted and same behavior - no Start Menu on the dock.

8. John@Parallels

How many Virtual machine you are running, at the same time?
    Do you have any application which modifies , replaces Dock?
    Did you try to drug of Parallels Desktp icon off the Dock and drug this icon from /Applications folder again?

9. law

law Bit poster

Hello. Exactly the same problem here. When I click the Icon while parallels is activated the start menu does not appear. It works if I select the start menu from the menu of the icon in programs.

10. law

law Bit poster

Hello. Same problem here.
    The start menu does only work if I select start menu from the menu in the dock. But not by simply clicking the icon (twice)

11. John@Parallels

Please not it should work only in Coherence mode, not in window mode

12. Salad

Salad Bit poster

I'm having the same problem, I think. With some troubleshooting and research, I've found that if I set my Apple-->Dock-->Turn Hiding On, the parallels dock icon brings up the start menu. For some reason if I have my Apple dock set to Turn Hiding Off (keeping the dock on the desktop) but my Windows XP taskbar auto hiding through the windows taskbar properties, the start menu does not work in the parallels dock icon. The context menu always works fine.

I am running build 3810 with windows SP3 in coherence mode. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this it would be appreciated.

13. Ergolad

Ergolad Bit poster

Same for me...

I got the same issue. I can report that if I am in Coherence Mode and my Dock is set to Auto-Hide, the Start Menu works, but if I leave the Dock unhidden I get no Start Menu when I click once, twice or any variation thereof the Parallels Start Icon for Windows. I am using the latest 4.0 build of Parallels and fully updated version of XP Pro. Context menu operates fine.

Thanks!

14. Kirk Farkas

Kirk Farkas Bit poster

This worked for me

I did a permissions repair on the startup drive and zapped my PRAM. My start menu now shows up. Don't know which one fixed it of course.
    Good Luck.

15. Kirk Farkas

Kirk Farkas Bit poster

This worked for me:
    Had the same issue except the start menu did not work with the dock hidden or not hidden. I did a permission repair and Zapped my PRAM. Working fine now.

16. Bryan Guinn

Bryan Guinn Bit poster

i'm having the same issue as described above and hiding the dock fixes the issue. tried removing parallels from the dock, re-adding it from the applications folder, and reinstalling parallels tools as suggested. neither worked (nor did double clicking the icon). i'm not tech savvy enough to know what a permission repair to the start up drive or "zap the PRAM" is, as one other user suggested. any other ideas or further clarification would be appreciated.

17. Kirk Farkas

Kirk Farkas Bit poster

To repair disk permissions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh17.html

Reset PRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Good Luck Bryan.

18. Bryan Guinn

Bryan Guinn Bit poster

attempted this solution, but it didn't work for me. i have a ticket in with tech support and will post the details once i receive a response.

19. Bryan Guinn

Bryan Guinn Bit poster

temporary solution

I had Parallels support do a remote log in to my Mac and they were able to duplicate the problem. Apparently it is related to the size and magnification settings of the dock. Readjusting these settings will generally fix the problem, though it does take a bit of finagling to find the exact setting. I've attached a screenshot of the dock settings I'm using that allow start menu integration to function. This is an imperfect solution to the problem, but it does work. The tech that identified the issue mentioned that he has submitted the bug to the development team, so hopefully a patch will be released that resolves the issue.

[​IMG]

Full text of the transcript with tech support:

Hello, It's Andrew from Parallels. Are you ready to start?

yes.

OK, good.

I have found out when this start menu integration does not work .

It does not work with settings of the Dock that you have now.
    If we change one of it to a different value, it will work. E.g you noticed that it does work when Auto-hide is enabled. Not only... also when magnification is off. Or even if we change the size of the Dock, or the magnification size.

Please have a look.Now it does not work.

As you saw it worked with different setting, but when I reverted them back it again does not work. I reproduced it on my Mac also. So I will report it to our development team. But I suspect that this is somehow connected with Apple. May be some bug in Dock preferences.

As I workaround I suggest you either turn off magnification or change the size settings to the way it works

that is an imperfect solution but will work. sounds like a patch may be needed. i'll use the work around for now and keep an eye out for an update.

Sure. As I said it will be reported for investigation.

ok. that sounds good. i will post this to the forums so others who are having a similar issue will be aware.

Yes, thank you. One more note. when you change the size setting, close the dock preferences before the trying Start menu. For some reasons open preferences affects it

is there a specific size that seems to work better than others?

I would say that there is a specific size that does not work. all other sizes work. let me try it once again.

It seems that in your case the magnification size matters. I set it to a bit bigger and it did not work.. increased more and it worked

right. i noticed that as well.

At my Mac as I tested the range of sizes a bit shorter. but still there is a size when this does not work. Ok, I think it's done and we can finish.
    ok thank you for identifying the problem

Thank you for your time. I am already submitting this issue to our developers.

20. Ergolad

Ergolad Bit poster

May be a fix....

I can confirm that adjusting the magnification settings and mirroring what you show in your screenshot corrects the problem for me. Will report back if the solution doesn't stick. I'm doubtful as the issue was intermittent before... Then again, I had made some adjustments in the Win XP settings for how my Start Menu was displayed during that time. It may have played into the intermittent behavior. Originally I was using the XP standard view, then changed to standard with small icons, then "Classic" & now "Classic" with small icons.