Starting a windows app causing multiple launches... (Xara Xtreme)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by itsdapead, Feb 2, 2007.

1. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

I've had this problem with 3150 with XP as the guest OS (doesnt happen with Win2k) with Xara Xtreme.

If "Show applications in dock" is turned on and you launch Xara from within the guest OS I get a loop causing multiple (between 2 and A Lot) instances of Xara to start.

Turning off "Show Applications in dock" OR adding Xara to the dock and launching it from there avoids this.

Looks like Xara is doing something odd, but there's obviously a potential re-entrancy or race condition lurking in the "Show apps in dock" feature. I've reported the problem with xara to beta@parallels, but has anybody seen it with other applications?

(www.xara.com - strongly recommended for vector graphics - there's an open source fork which may run on OSX one day but it seems to have stalled a bit)

2. jkneen

jkneen Member

Hi,

THANK you for this. Whilst I don't know what the solution is I'm getting exactly the same thing. With VNC 4.1 viewer and an app called secondcopy. The latter launches multiple setups which I can't stop (i have to reboot) and VNC launches again as soon as I select the server to connect to.

Turning off the dock applications item stopped this immediately!

3. puithove

puithove Member

Ah ha! Me too!!! Luckily I haven't run into the endless loop like you guys but I do get double launches... Turning off the dock option as you suggest cures it. I hate to lose that function though...

4. pboulo

pboulo Bit poster

Same issue with Opnets SPGuru, turning off dock elimnates the problem.

5. Gryzor

Gryzor Junior Member

Same here, I develop with VStudio 2003 and when I start the debugger, I have two instances running at the same time :)

I had to add some mutex code to our app, so that it prevents being launched twice while DEBUG is true ;)

Also executing a .BAT from the command line (post build events) fires twice.

Disabling DOCK seems to do the trick btw, thank god I found this workaround! I thought it was my WCB (Windows Crazy Behaviourâ„¢) ;)

6. puithove

puithove Member

Still happening in the latest RC3 build.

7. wannapc

wannapc Bit poster

Come on Parallels Why Don't You Respond- Multiple launches with last two releases???

Same problem with Multiple Launches of the same application. I have seen this with other applications and with Xara Xtreme it does go into an infinite loop. Have to shut down VM to exit. This only happens with "show icons in dock" set to on.

8. jeyell

jeyell Bit poster

Repeating startup of Virtual Weather Station VWS

Since the two most recent betas i also get a repeat of this app on startup.

9. puithove

puithove Member

Ok, with the "Final" version (build 3186) I am no longer getting multiple app launches. However, I've noticed that some apps which previously showed in the dock now do not. I'm also getting an icon in the dock for Windows Explorer which will not go away (I assume this is the Shell-mode Explorer process showing up). It'll also put icons for any additional instances of Windows Explorer if I have Explorer windows open - those work properly. We don't need an icon for the Shell session.

10. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

3168 seems to have fixed the problem for me, too. Thanks guys.

The way it handles explorer windows makes sense to me - one icon for explorer with a context menu listing all the explorer windows.