Starting Parallels 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajay, Mar 17, 2007.

1. ajay

ajay Hunter

My bad: I am using build 3188 (up from 1970) and it works just fine, except . . . To start it, I have to click on the Parallels.pvs icon directly. The regular Parallels icon brings me to an install OS menu. I didn't realize when installing 3188, there was an opportunity to choose between a new install and an upgrade. So, naturally, I chose the wrong option. Is there some easy way to fix this or am I stuck with having to directly access the .pvs icon.

2. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

1. Make an alias to your .pvs file and put it on your desktop.

2. Then select "Go to Folder . . ." from the Finder's "Go" menu and enter
    "~/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory" (without the quotes); this should open
    the folder in a window.

(3. If you get a note that the folder cannot be found, open Terminal [in the
    "/Applications/Utilities" folder] and type

cd ~/Documents
    mkdir .parallels-vm-directory

to create the folder, exit Terminal, and go back to step 2.)

4. Then move the alias to your .pvs file into the window opened in step 2.

This should fix your problem.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  3. ajay

ajay Hunter

Thanks for the try, but it didn't work. After following the first process, I received the messaage, coudn't find the folder. Then into Terminal and followed that process. Seemed okay till I went back to the first process. Still unable to find folder. :(

4. Resolver

Resolver Member

My Solution

1. Hey guys ! I know all about that question sign over parallels icon on dockside.

I am not sure about your solution. The easy way to fix this problem is to remove Parallels icon from dock panel. After that go to applications--> parallels --> parallels icon. So We take this parallels icon and drag it to the dock panel again on our Mac Desctop.

2. If it does not help, uninstall Parallels , restart your MAC , install Parallels. Run it . If you still can notice question over your parallels Icon , go to step 1.

Hope this will help ...

5. MikeBee

MikeBee Parallels Team

1. Remove the "Parallels" icon from your Mac's menu bar (doc)
    2. Open "Mac HD" -> "Applications" -> "Parallels"
    3. Move the "Parallels Desktop" icon to the doc
    4. Now you can open your Parallels from the Doc

6. ajay

ajay Hunter

Wish it were that easy MikeBee. The regular Parallels Icon, wherever it may be located, brings me to the Parallels panel asking me to select an operating system installation mode. I don't want that option, I have Parallels and an OS installed already and it works fine, except to launch it, I have to click on the Parallels.pvs icon.

7. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

In relation to your response to my message:

and your response to MikeBee's:

In reference to my suggested solution: check again to make sure that you didn't make a typing mistake. If the "parallels-vm-directory" folder really doesn't exist, then that explains why you have a problem.

Did you type

cd ~/Documents
    mkdir .parallels-vm-directory

with the period in front of "parallels-vm-directory"? And did you type

~/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory

in the dialog that appeared when you went to Go to Folder . . ." from the Finder's "Go" menu?

Also, is "Documents" in your home folder an actual folder, or is it an alias? In my case, I made "Documents" an alias to a partition on which all of my documents are stored. This caused a problem, since the ".parallels-vm-directory" folder was not created on the partition when Parallels.app was installed because the installer expected an actual folder. In order to fix it, I had to replace the alias to my documents partition with a symbolic link. An alias and a symbolic link look identical (in a "Get Info" dialog, both have the same icon and both are identified by type as "Alias"), but they behave quite differently. Following the process that I outlined eliminated the problem immediately.

If this is the case with you, you can create a symbolic link easily. First, trash the documents alias. Then open Terminal and type

cd ~
    ln -s /Volumes/PartitionName Documents

where PartitionName is the name of your documents partition.

While MikeBee's suggestion in most cases fixes problems of the type that you report, in special cases such as mine, it does not suffice. You haven't explained your problem in sufficient detail for me to know which solution would work. However, if the "~/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory" folder truly does not exist, then this is a tip-off to the source of your problem.

As always, given the situation, YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  8. ajay

ajay Hunter

This is getting way more complex than I had hoped for. I do have a Documents folder in my Home folder. It contains nothing. I don't believe it is an alias. I did type the data correctly. From Go, the message is "Folder cannot be found". In the terminal, (I did type the data correctly), when I type ~cd/Documents I get the same message about unable to find folder. I am hesitant to make a Documents partion? as I don't know what it is or why I want/need one. When you say Documents partion name, what is this?

I wonder if it's easier to just reinstall whatever. I just don't want to get into a situation where I either lose my data or have to reinstall Windows. I really thought upgrading to 3188 would have been as easier as all the other upgrades I've done in the past.

9. ajay

ajay Hunter

This is way too bizarre. My Mac mini just self-repaired. After umpteen times of stabbing on the old Parallels icon and getting a panel that directs me to install an OS, it now brings me to the desired startup/configuration panel. I'm a happy camper again, but I did absoloutly nothing to cause the change (swearing under my breath doesn't count). Amazing but true.

My thanks to all who offered helpful hints and suggestion. Your input is very much appreciated.

ajay:)

10. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

Don't type "~cd/Documents": type "cd ~/Documents"! And don't forget the space between "cd" and "~/Documents" and the space between "mkdir" and ".parallels-vm-directory".

And the information about a documents partition is relevant only if you have one! I provided it just in case you did have a documents partition. If you don't, then for goodness' sake don't make one.

Incidentally, is it true that your Documents folder contains nothing? This would be very strange indeed!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  11. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

I posted my last reply before I saw this message. I'm glad it's finally working!

12. MinMet

MinMet Bit poster

Did same to me. What I did was waste a bit of time and installed my XP again (it went to the same folder as my old vm were). Now you can start the parallels (click the Parallels in the Application folder, not the icon automatically generated during installation. I deleted that icon) and be able to choose which vm to use. I deleted the new vm and been using the old one. So far so good for three days. No trouble yet. I know it's dum way. But, hey, an hour or so fixed the problem.
    Try that if you are not afraid.

BTW, I couldn't tell the difference between 3188 from 3186 except that Parallels tools will install to windows automatically in 3188.

Min