Suggestion: Connect COM port to IOKit serial port.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by eudyptes, Apr 7, 2006.

1. eudyptes

eudyptes

There should be some easy way to connect the virtual machine's serial ports to an IOKit serial port.

That way software on the virtual machine could talk directly to a device connected to a USB serial adapter (like keyspan).

2. dhjdhj

dhjdhj

I would be in heaven if this could be done. I have a ham radio in my car which can only be programmed with Windows software. Having the ability to do this through Parallels would be wonderful.
    David, WQ2S

3. jmaynard

jmaynard

Yes, it would be nifty...I might actually find something to program my FT857 with.

...Jay, K5ZC

4. lscline

lscline

This is very important to me. I have a couple of Windows apps that are my primary reason for needing a VM solution, which use serial hardware.

I am hoping something like this will be supported in the release version. I think that VirtualPC supported this in the past (I don't know, as I'm a new Mac convert).

Linda

5. davidee

davidee

virtual pc support for this was spotty at best, not to mention slow.

I am looking to bootcamp for this in the meantime, I have a garmin gps that needs windows for programming it, and I have the usb to serial cable. I hope that will work, now if Parellels can get it to work then that would be great but at least there is another option (but I would prefer an emulation solution if it is fast enough to keep the devices from erroring out).

-ee