Support for network boot (pxe)?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ian, May 7, 2006.

1. Ian

Ian Junior Member

I have searched this forum, and the User Guide, but haven't yet found any indication that Parallels supports a network boot. Did I miss the obvious, or is this not supported, or perhaps, its planned for GA or a future release? Any information will be appreciated.
    Thanks! -Ian

2. bbraun

bbraun Member

The network adapter does not appear in the "Boot Sequence" options for a vm. That leads me to believe netboot is not an option in Parallels.

3. Ian

Ian Junior Member

Yeah, I looked there too and was coming to the same conclusion. Though, since this is something that I could use, I was hoping that network boot might be something activated via hot-key or some other, less than obvious, means.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

There will be no PXE boot in this version - sorry guys. But we plan it for future versions for sure.

5. leon

leon Bit poster

What did folks do before systems had PXE boot capabilities at the BIOS level. I presume some kind of boot disk was devised, that implemented the PXE request and then tftp'd and launched the bootstrap code?

Anyone have a floppy or CD iso boot image with just enough networking drivers and scripts to "fake" a PXE boot in a Parallels environment? Or a pointer to something generic that could be tweaked?

I'm willing to tinker.

If we solve that, then the next question will be what sort of command-line / scriptable front-end is planned for Parallels such that we can manipulate the boot order (and move HDD ahead of the PXE boot image, after the fact)?

\Leon

6. Ian

Ian Junior Member

Sorry! I forgot to follow up to my own post. The solution you are looking for is at: http://etherboot.org/ That is how I was able to do a PXE boot after all. Just get one of the floppy ISO images and point Parallels at it (as a CD-image) and you are set. Works great!