OVA import/export

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by StephaneV, Oct 10, 2018.

?

Integrate tools to import OVA/OVF

1. Yes, GUI wizard

100.0%
  2. Yes, CLI tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not needed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StephaneV

StephaneV Bit poster

Had to install VirtualBox because of it :-(

2. DmitryM3

DmitryM3 Bit poster

Hey, Parallels,

Please add native support import VM from .ova container. Even VirtualBox support it for free. You KB suggest to download ovftool from VMWare, but full registration needed to download this tool.

3. Macintosh Rescue

Macintosh Rescue Member

These are open standards that allow appliances to be shared by developers so that users can use whatever virtualisation software they have. I recently downloaded an appliance in OVA format and wanted to run it in Parallels Desktop which turned out to be very complicated due to the lack of support. I ended up moving one of My Mac's to VirtualBox partly because of the lack of interoperability with Parallels and other virtualisation software.

With the addition of an export option Parallels Desktop could become an option for appliance developers to run on their systems instead of VMware or others.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  4. LubomirC

LubomirC Bit poster

5. JamesF23

JamesF23 Junior Member

Especially since Parallels is a far superior product to the garbage that is VirtualBox.

MatthewR20 likes this.
  6. RichardR25

RichardR25 Bit poster

Yet Virtualbox does not have problems importing OVAs and Parallels does... superior how?

Parallels does nothing when you try to import VMs from other platforms.