[Survey] OpenGL glxgears - Mine is 54 fps

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Ed Sutton, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

I am interested in learning what typical OpenGL frame rates are in a Linux VM.

Under CentOS (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.3 I get about 54 fps with Parallels Tools installed on a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz OS X 10.6.2 running Parallels 5.0.9310. ( I get about 1400 fps running glxgears on the host ).

I understand that most Linux distros include the glxgears application that writes frame rate to the terminal while simultaneously rotating some gears in an OpenGL display. Please share you results.

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

2. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

After upgrading to 5.0.9344 and upgrading to the new improved Parallels Tools, I get slightly better at maybe 58 fps.

3. Kevin C. Krinke

Kevin C. Krinke Junior Member

Just chiming in here...

Something to note though is that not all OpenGL apps run for me. In fact, beyond glxgears I can't get much to work properly. There is something wrong with the lib GLU shipped with Ubuntu (which I highly doubt) or Parallels just does not handle OpenGL to spec.

Also, can you believe I get better frames with compiz enabled? Like seriously is that not a set of inverted results expectations or what!

4. Ed Sutton

Ed Sutton Member

Wow, that's substantially better fps than I get on CentOS 5.3 at about 50 fps. Thanks for giving me an idea on what performance is possible.

-Ed