Suse 10 w/WinXP guest USB printer & drive inoperative

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by afore, Apr 11, 2006.

1. afore

afore Member

Was another thread on suse 10 with usb problem with win2k that directed to thread22 which had:

. Check if an usb-operating group exists in your Linux primary OS.
    2. If the group exists:
    * Include into this group users who have to have an access to USB devices.
    * Proceed to step 5.
    3. If the group does not exist:
    * Create a group and include into it users who have to have an access to USB devices.
    * In the /etc/fstab file edit the string that mounts the usbfs. Devgid parameter should contain the identifier of the group created in the previous step.

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=<USB gid>,devmode=0664 0 0

This option will of course only work if you have the relevant support compiled into your kernel.
    4. Restart your Linux primary OS.

Tried this and it does not work at all with printer or usb harddrive in WinXPSP1. Works fine in Suse 10.0.

Are there any other solutions

2. afore

afore Member

Some additional info. When I modify the fstab line from

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0

to

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=0664 0 0

per the instructions above, after adding USB group which is 1000, I get the following in the /var/log/boot.msg file:

mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not exist

Without the modification, I do not get that error message.

3. Ynot

Ynot Pro

We are working on that problem. Now a kind of a solution is in testing. So, it may be soon available.

4. afore

afore Member

I found a work around for the usb harddisk until it gets fixed. I do a smb share of /med/SEAGATE in linux, then I can see it in WinXP. This will get me to where I can test one more area that may be a problem: flexlm from Globetrotters (Uses the nic id for software licensing).

Art

5. fedorauser

fedorauser Bit poster

Ynot -

Would you mind posting the details of the solution? We might learn a thing or two...

(thanks for posting that answer below anyway... someone will find it useful...)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. afore

afore Member

All I did was go into Suse 10.0 Yast, Network Services, and set up Samba Server to share /media/SEAGATE (the USB drive), then add my password to the smbpasswd file with add smbpasswd -e <username> in a console window as root.

Hope this helps.

7. gandalf

gandalf Bit poster

Use USB printer as networked under Samba

You may also use samba to use your printer as a network printer, that saves you a lot of headaches to get it to work directly from parallels.