1. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Hi all,

I'm sure this thread will get locked or deleted quickly... But recently when I upgraded my MacBookPro from a 15" to a 17" I decided to give VMWare a shot at my business since upgrading to Parallels 3.x had left me with suspend issues, no coherence and a few other bugs.

I installed the latest VMWare and used their "Parallels converter" on two WinXP VMs that I had. Here are the results:

1) The converter worked flawlessly. Both VMs were converted to perfect running VMWare VMs. The only issue was Windows reactivation but when it was done online it activated automatically. No issues.

2) The performance is as good or better than Parallels. I have not done detailed bench marks but I never wait for a VM to do anything. With my new MBP and 4g of RAM I can have 3 WinXP VMs up and running at a time. They just work! No swapping!

3) USB support. I had stopped using it in Parallels because of a few Mac OS crashes when removing and inserting USB keys. Well in VMWare they just work. Even my iPhone occassionally comes up in Windows when I don't want it to.

4) Suspend / resume. Lets just say that since switching to VMWare I have not rebooted either of my VMs in about 20 days. I just suspend and resume them. Since I changed work locations I have left two VMs open on the laptop for almost 15 days. Not a problem. Back in Parallels I was nervous about doing this and often would shut them down just to be safe.

Anyway, I'm not trying to drag customers away from Parallels. I still own two Parallels licenses but right now Fusion is strongly in the lead with stability.

Mark

2. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

How's the OpenGL performance on VMWare with your Macbook Pro? OpenGL is the only thing keeping me with Parallels. I don't suppose you'd care to run some tests? :)

3. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

What would you like me to test?