The Dreaded Zune - can't connect

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jonesy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. jonesy

jonesy Bit poster

Asked for an iPod for Xmas, got a Zune. Oh, the humanity. To make matters worse, I just bought a Mac.

I'm trying to run Zune on Parallels. Got the software installed, but when I connect the Zune via USB, I get the following message:

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

I'm new to both Mac and Parallels, so maybe this is just something stupid I'm overlooking. But I haven't been able to figure anything out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Can you determine if the Mac has grabbed the Zune? Possibly it sees it as a storage device. If so, unmount it from a Finder window. Otherwise see if there is another Mac application that starts up when you plug in the Zune.

A problem with USB devices is they announce to the other nodes on the wire that they are there and they'd like some attention. Some devices appeal to both OS X and to Windows so it is a race to see who attaches it first. Parallels has gotten better about managing that but it is still imperfect.

3. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

Put it all back in the box and take it best buy and excange it for a ipod. If your nice they should take it back, athought they might charge you a 10% restocking fee or something. It will be more then worth it.

4. dm3

dm3 Member

Quick while you can... return the Zune get an iPod. The Zune experience will only go downhill. Beyond the device there's iTunes. Microsoft has applied too much DRM to Zune and their store. You'll be limited with what you can put on that device going forward. I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft ditch this version Zune. They've done it before abandoning support for Play4Sure (ie Zune doesn't support it).