Timeout warning for file system

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Kopernikus, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Bit poster

I have installed my Mac with Leopard 10.5 (not with updating installation, but with a complete new one) and now I'm getting an error message when starting Paralells (build 5162):

[C] Microsoft Windows XP
    Time out warning for the file system to initialize. The volume has been ejected. You can use init_timeout mount option to wait longer.

I don't know what that does mean and I have no further problems to run the VM. But what's the reason of the problem?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

:(
    I have the same error message.

kat

3. lostboy

lostboy Bit poster

File system timeout -- RESOLVED

Howdy all -

This issue where the windows filesystems will not appear as mounted drives on the desktop and instead you get a timeout error message has been resolved by the open source guys. It would seem Parallels uses FuSE to mount these drives and the version of fuse supplied with parallels is not apropriate for leopard.

On my system I fixed this by installing the latest FuSE implementation released by the open source guys two days ago. You can get it at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/downloads/list

I also changed the finder option "Preferences -> General -> Connected servers" to be checked (it is unchecked by default). I am not sure if this is absolutely required but I had to do it for other reasons (to make SSHfs volumes appear).

Have a go at this and you should be back in business. Amazing how fast those open source guys can be (.. and how slow Parallels can be!).

Now, perhaps someone can help me with my problem -- I cannot get a real CD/DVD drive to appear. If I edit settings in one of my VMs and click to add a CD the option to use a CD Drive is grayed out. All I can do is select an image file. If I launch a VM that previously (pre-leopard) was configured for a CD drive then I get an error message at startup saying parallels cannot connect the default drive. Now the CD functions normally on the mac side.. so not sure what to make of this.

-J

4. kat

kat Product Expert

I would really like to know from Parallels if they recommend this fix. I have had to force quit xp/parallels several times. I really don't want to cause more damage. This was a new install of Parallels and xp. The install of leopard on my imac was not an update.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

dragonkat, installing the latest MacFUSE release is advisable in your case and should cause no damage.

lostboy, your CD drive is one of the Parallels-Leopard issues which our developers are fixing now. Please sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  6. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Bit poster

.(

Since I have installed MacFUSE to solve the problem, Parallels crashes. How can I uninstall it?

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

I think you should uninstall your Parallels Desktop this way:

Open Finder-->Applications-->Terminal.app, then please type and run the following commands:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext
    sudo rm ~/Library/Parallels/
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels/
    sudo rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.parallels.*

After that reboot your Mac and reinstall Parallels.

Please let me know the result.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Bit poster

Some of the commands did not work, and after re-installing, the problem is the good old same, but without the crashes.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  9. kat

kat Product Expert

mine crashed too! so how do i get rid of macfuse?

10. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Bit poster

Uninstall Parallels and re-install. Try the terminal commands. Not all worked for me but after the new install the crashes ware gone and "only" the old error message was left. Hope there will be a fix soon.

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Kopernikus, our developers say MacFUSE 1.0.0 must fix the issue.
    You can also try the new Parallels beta program but please keep in mind that it is a beta release, so other bugs are possible.
    You are welcome to Beta-related discussions in the dedicated forum section: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=86714#post86714 .

Dragonkat, when you do full Parallels uninstallation, make sure you do not delete your VM pvs and hdd files. In PD 3.0 they are stored by default in /Users/supportparallels/Documents/Parallels/ unless you moved them manually to the folders we recommend to delete.

Before you reinstall Parallels, browse the Applications folder, open Utilities and launch Disk Utility. Select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  12. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Bit poster

After I have installed MacFUSE 1.0, my Parallels crashed several times and there was a new error message from MacFuse (sorry, but did not write it down before re-installing Parallels).
    Can I install the Beta 5540 over my 5162? And if so, if the 5540 will be out as public version, can I update my beta system to the public version?

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Kopernikus, thank you very much for the information on MacFUSE 1.0.
    Yes, you can install the Beta over 5162 and then update it to the public version when it's ready.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. evan1138

evan1138 Bit poster

We seem to have worked around this problem.

A member of my internal tech support team (that is, one of our kids) suggested that I was getting the timeout because XP was impatient with Leopard's/Parallels' virtual disk that took too long to expand from initial 0 size. Whatever the details, when I changed the disk from the default "expanding" to "fixed" and gave it 10 GB to format and keep, the installation went smoothly. It had failed three times with the default settings. This is good enough for me, for now.

Hope it helps in general.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007