Trouble copying and pasting between Excel and Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by woodyrr, Nov 28, 2008.

1. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

I have discovered another issue that is "different" between Parallels 3 and Parallels 4 that I can't get around.

In Parallels 3, I could copy [Command C] a block of data from Microsoft Excel and then paste [either Command V or Control V would work] the block of data into my radio scanner software in Windows.

In Parallels 4, using either Command V or Control V, instead of pasting the Excel data into the cells of the software in Windows, it overwrites the existing data that is in the cells with nothing.

2. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

3. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

I'm afraid that didn't work. It is still pasting "null" data.

I should add that I am copying from Excel on the Mac side and pasting on the Windows XP side.

The command and control keys seem to be working properly - it does seem to be trying to paste. It just appears that the copied data on the clipboard is getting lost in in the transition from the Mac to Windows.

I also might add that this very process, I used to do regularly and without incident using Parallels 3.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

Not being able to copy and paste is a deal breaker.

This issue has been resolved by reverting to Parallels 3.

5. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

Hello,

we are investigating this issue. Were you able to copy/paste with your mouse menu ( right click + copy/paste)?

6. fmckinnon

fmckinnon Member

I'm going to try and respond to every thread about copy/paste - it's a disaster. At least your progrma doesn't crash. Mine works fine for minutes, even hours, then, with no warning, copy/paste stops working. The only resolution is rebooting Windows.

7. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

Flagg wrote:
    Hello,

we are investigating this issue. Were you able to copy/paste with your mouse menu ( right click + copy/paste)?

----------------------------------------

Unfortunately, my mouse is a standard Apple mouse and doesn't have any auxiliary buttons. I must rely on command keys exclusively.

I did just now try to paste again hoping that there might be a right click command under the send keys menu.

When I pasted [Command V] I think that it did paste the first time, but any subsequent attempts to paste whether that data or other copied data, it pastes blanks.

8. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

I cannot tell if the V4 copy / paste issue has been solved for other users because there are so many threads dealing with the issue.

I am running build 4.0.3540.209165 with no clipboard management software that doesn't come with a typical installation of Windows XP or Mac 10.4.11. An update check indicates that I have the latest version of Parallels. I am still unable to copy and paste from the Mac to Windows.

Has there been a solution to this problem offered?

9. bvila@umich.edu

bvila@umich.edu Member

Strange copy/paste behavior in Excel (workaround)

Add me to the list of people who are having problems pasting to Excel in Windows. I've tried it in Coherence and Window mode, with Windows 2000 and Win XP, Excel 2000 and Excel 2007. The behavior is the same.

All attempts to paste into Win Excel fail until I paste into something else first, like Word (on either the Windows or Mac side). Keeping the clipboard exactly the same, I can then paste into Excel. It seems to work for a while, and then it stops. I then have to repeat the procedure above.

To say the least, this behavior is annoying. A fix would be greatly appreciated.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to reinstall Parallels Tools

11. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

I successfully downloaded and reinstalled Parallels Tools, but that had no effect.

Thinking that the issue might be confined to the specific piece of software that I am using, I tried to copy and paste from one screen within the software to another and was able to do that, but that is totally within Windows. I don't have a copy of Excel for Windows, but I do have Calc from Open Office. I tried to paste a block of copied Excel:Mac data into a blank Calc:Windows spreadsheet and was unable to copy and paste from Mac to Windows that way.

12. John@Parallels

Please submit report from Parallels Desktop - Help menu -selecting Report a Problem, and post here report ID

13. bvila@umich.edu

bvila@umich.edu Member

Reinstalling Parallels Tools works (so far)

So far, reinstalling Parallels Tools solved the problem with pasting into Excel. Just tried it in Win2000 with Excel 2000. Will try with XP and 2007 next. Assume it works if I don't write again.

14. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

Please see report id 21917

thank you.

15. bvila@umich.edu

bvila@umich.edu Member

Reinstalling Tools worked in Coherence, but not Window view

Reinstalling Parallels Tools (Virtual Machine ->Reinstall Parallels Tools) seemed to have solved the paste problem for me copying from Excel Mac to Excel Windows in Win2000 and WinXP, but only in Coherence view. But now that pattern has disappeared. It's inconsistent. Sometimes it works in both views, sometimes one, but not the other.

I'm not sure what to make of this, but when I switch from Window to Coherence and vice versa, I can paste. If I start out not being able to paste in one view, switching views allows me to paste.

16. John@Parallels

Did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools?

17. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

Yes. Please see post 11. My replies are delayed by moderation.

18. user_on_par

user_on_par Bit poster

I have the same issue copying and pasting between other apps

Hi, I could not copy a phone number today using either the keyboard or the mouse (right-click & copy). I was copying a number from a Firefox web page and trying to paste it into Skype.

I have reinstalled Tools.

19. John@Parallels

I would like to ask one question to all who tries to copy/paste and failed
    When you copy from mac to Win try to use mouse and check
    for example in case Excel - to Calc
    Copy from Escel - select cell - Edit -copy, and in Calc - Edit - Paste

In several cases it may be the problem with incorrect mappings

20. woodyrr

woodyrr Junior Member

In my case, using the mouse and menu rather than command keys to copy and paste between Mac and Windows does not paste either way. The operation regardless of the method is the same.