Trying to follow KB 125344 to copy data to Windows 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DeborahO1, Dec 28, 2023.

1. DeborahO1

DeborahO1 Bit poster

Just got a new M3 series MacBook Pro. Installed Windows and got it licensed just fine. Now trying to follow the info in KB 125344 to copy data to the new VM since the ARM version won't read the Intel VM. Unfortunately there is no option to "Show Hard Disk Contents..." and I can find no way to do it. What's up with this? Thanks for any help.
    Here's what I see:
    Parallels Control Center.jpg
    But what it says I should see is:
    ! ScreenCap - 2023-12-28_02-36-36_PM.jpg

2. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    To solve this issue, follow the steps:
    1) Open Control Center.
    2) Find the concerned Virtual Machine.
    3) Right-click > Configure.
    4) Go to General tab > Change the type from Windows 11 to Windows 10:
    upload_2023-12-29_10-17-36.png
    5) Restart your Mac and verify if you have the Show Hard Disk Contents... option ?
    If the issue persists, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

3. DeborahO1

DeborahO1 Bit poster

It already is Windows 10. I'm not sure what you mean about "reproduce the issue." The issue is it doesn't show the menu item as indicated in the KB Article.
    I created the Technical Data Report as requested, with report number 446636908. Thanks.

4. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello.

According to what can be seen on a screenshot and from the report, it looks like the virtual machine is still located on the Intel Mac. In this case it would be normal that the button is absent, it should only be present when you are attempting to import the x86-64 virtual machine to the Apple Silicon based computer, on which it cannot be started, and data cannot be accessed normally.

To have it available, first you would need to copy and try running it in your new M3 series Mac so it registers in the Control Center, and then as the Parallels Desktop will return the message that architecture is incompatible, you should be able to see this option in the drop-down menu.

Alternatively, you could also run it on the original Mac and copy the files manually from it, since it's still available as is evident, but it depends on which option would be more convenient.

5. DeborahO1

DeborahO1 Bit poster

I see...well, I've looked back at the article, and it may be useful to indicate that the VM must be first moved to the machine with the Apple silicon...that was not indicated anywhere and I didn't realize that was the missing step. But since my VM is 150 GB and I need to reinstall all applications anyway, all I really need is the maybe 1 GB of data. I'll just save that to a USB drive and move it manually. I keep almost all data outside of the VM on the Mac side anyway. Thanks.