[Tutorial] How to fix Microsoft apps (Photos, Store, Calculator, etc.) crashing on M1

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by teemubohuslava, Dec 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. teemubohuslava

teemubohuslava Bit Poster

1. Settings > Update & Security > For developers > Turn on "Install apps from any source, including loose files".

2. Search > Windows PowerShell > Run as Administrator

3. You first need to uninstall the existing (bad) installation of the app. The default installation of many system apps crash because M1 doesn't support running 32-bit ARM code. Try to right click on the problematic app in the Start menu, and click Uninstall. If you already uninstalled the bad copy, skip to step 7. If "Uninstall" isn't an option for the app you're looking to fix, we need to use PowerShell to uninstall it.

4. Run this command:
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers > ~/apps.txt;start ~/apps.txt
    This will make a list of all apps and save it to apps.txt, and open the list of apps in the default text editor (likely Notepad)

5. Search for the name of the app you'd like to fix. Then find the "Name" of the problematic app, such as "Microsoft.Windows.Photos". If the app has architecture "Arm64" or "X86", the app will run. If the app has architecture "Arm", it'll be broken on M1, and we need to uninstall it first.

6. Uninstall the bad app with this command:
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Replace "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" with the name of the app you'd like to uninstall. The app will uninstall fairly quickly - you may see a green flash.

7. Find the web URL of the app you'd like to install. For Photos, it is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-photos/9wzdncrfjbh4?activetab=pivot:overviewtab. For other apps, just click on the URL for Photos, and click in the search field to find your app.

8. Copy the URL of the app to the clipboard.

9. Open and paste in the URL, then click the checkmark. This lets you find out the appx package URL from store web URL.
    10. Scroll down to find the latest appx or appxbundle of the main app (not the dependency). The format should either be "appx" or "appxbundle", and the file name should indicate either "neutral", "arm64", or "x86". The file name must not have plain "arm" (no "64" suffix) as the architecture. Do not download "eappx" or "eappxbundle" as those won't be compatible. For Photos, at the time of writing, this name is Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2020.20110.11001.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle.

11. After downloading the package, if it is a .appx, skip to step 14. If it is a neutral .appxbundle, find the downloaded file in Windows Explorer, and change the file extension to .zip. If you don't see any extension, click View > File Name Extensions to show it. Sometimes files are downloaded without an extension.

12. Right click on the renamed zip > Extract All... > Extract.

13. Click into the extracted folder, and scroll down to find the appx of the main app that ends in "_Win32.appx". For Photos, this is AppStubCS.Windows_2020.20110.11001.0_x86_Ship.appx at the time of writing.

14. Hold down the Shift key and right click on this appx, and click Copy as path.

15. In PowerShell, paste in the following:
    Add-AppxPackage -Path
    Add a space character at the end, so it's "Add-AppxPackage -Path ", then right click once to paste in the path.

16. Press return. The correct version of the app should install, and you should be able to launch it from the Start menu.

17. If PowerShell prompts for any missing dependency, repeat the previous steps to install the dependency first. If you're noticing missing graphics or odd behavior in the app, install the appx files that ends in "_scale-*.appx".

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020
  2. io_2000

io_2000 Bit Poster

There is a problem for me in step 7. I am searching for the Microsoft store app but can't seem to find it.

3. ScottK17

ScottK17 Bit Poster

My question is - where exactly am I pasting the URL and clicking the checkmark? I'm not sure which app you're using to get this (I've seen some Google searches that seem to imply that you use Fiddler for this). Everything else seems to be very straightforward, except for step #9.

Worst part is that the Microsoft Store app is "Arm" architecture, so it won't launch either :(

4. JohnC21

JohnC21 Bit Poster

5. JohnC21

JohnC21 Bit Poster

x64 version crashed when loading the pages for specific apps, use x86 version.

SimonZ2 likes this.
  6. teemubohuslava

The URL of the Microsoft Store app is:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-store/9wzdncrfjbmp

You need to paste the URL into https://store.rg-adguard.net/ and click the checkmark.

vernons and SimonZ2 like this.
  7. teemubohuslava

Turns out the URL to where you can paste a store link into was removed by the moderator. I'm not sure why this is the case - the site just parses the Microsoft Store link, then finds out the official appx link to the app which you can then directly download from Microsoft's server. It only works for free apps (paid apps are in eappx format, so those only works if you have already purchased the app). The download links are directly from Microsoft's servers, and there's no copyright implications. Again, it's just a parser.

Search on Google for "Online link generator for Microsoft Store" and you should find it. Once you open the the website, you can paste the Microsoft Store URL and click the checkmark.

8. onefish2

onefish2 Bit Poster

9. applefanboy27

applefanboy27 Bit Poster

Followed this step for step and the Photos app still crashes. I checked Get-AppxPackage -allusers > ~/apps.txt;start ~/apps.txt file and it shows that after installing the neutral appxbundle installs Arm version again

10. teemubohuslava

Did you follow step 11-13? You need to change the file extension of the neutral appxbundle into zip, unzip it, drill into the unzipped folder, find the x86 version of the appx, then install the x86 appx.

11. applefanboy27

applefanboy27 Bit Poster

Ok got the photos to work but Cant install windows store, what file am i supposed to look for when i extract the zip. I am using WinStore_12011.1001.1.0_x86.appx but it is not installing in powershell

12. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

Did you uninstall Microsoft Store first? If yes, check if any dependency is required. I'll suggest look at the failure information given by Power-shell after your failed installation.

13. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

Many thanks for OP's tip! Finally got Microsoft Store working as need it to download the HEVC extension. I'm shocked that why there are still so many apps in Windows 10 ARM are still not 64 bit and got worried about this bug. I know the M1 preview can't run ARM 32 but wonder if this is temporary or permanent limitation in case of restriction of ARM/Apple virtualisation.

ScottN57 likes this.
  14. onefish2

onefish2 Bit Poster

So the sad this is after doing all of this the apps will update themselves and not work again. Hopefully Microsoft fixes this in an update.

15. ScottN57

ScottN57 Bit Poster

I'm having trouble finding the URL for the Windows Store- do you happen to have it handy to share?

16. onefish2

onefish2 Bit Poster

17. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

ScottN57 likes this.
  18. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Bit Poster

A workaround to stop auto-update of all Microsoft Store apps to prevent updates damaging the manually downloaded x86 version:
    I. It seems that insider version forbids to turn off auto-update of Store apps in settings.
    II. However, this can be changed in Group Policy.
    III. Follow instructions in this guide from this webpage (https://winbuzzer.com/2020/07/17/ho...or-microsoft-store-apps-in-windows-10-xcxwbt/), section 2 "How to Turn Off Automatic Microsoft Store Updates via Group Policy". I'll copy the part in case of the link is unavailable:
    1. Open the Group Policy Editor (GPO)

Press the "Start" button or click the Windows search bar and type "Group Policy". Click the first result.

[​IMG]

2. Navigate to the "Turn off Automatic Download and Install of updates" policy

You can find this in Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Store. Double-click it to open the editing menu.

[​IMG]

3. Turn on or off Windows 10 auto update for apps

Click the "Enabled" option to stop auto download of app updates, or "Disabled" to let the Microsoft Store update apps automatically. "Not Configured" will have the policy follow the existing system settings.

[​IMG]

IV. Or it can be finished through Regedit:
      1. Open the Registry Editor

Press "Windows + R" to open the Run dialog, type "regedit", and press "OK".

[​IMG]

2. Go to the Windows Store key and create a new DWORD

You'll find the Microsoft Store key in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore. Right-click the empty space in the main pane and choose "New > DWORD (32-bit) Value".

[​IMG]

3. Create a disable auto download DWORD

Set the "Value name" to "AutoDownload". To disable automatic app download, set the "Value data" to "2". To force the Microsoft Store to update apps automatically no matter what, set it to "4". When you're done, press "OK" and close the Registry Editor.

[​IMG]

CarlosR17 and vernons like this.
  19. CristianV4

CristianV4 Bit Poster

right..i followed both this first post steps plus the one in the link (had to combine them to make Store open for the first time). worked amanzing after few tries and after i understood it.
    after i downloaded some apps to try and see if it works i done the updates through store and immediately went back to not working. started again and this not i havent done any updates in Store but each time after restartin windows or shut it down and reopen Store, Photos and other Windows app go back to not working anymore...any one any idea on this???
    i have even created another VM and selected to be Windows Inspire DEV top update to a newer version of Windows from 20231 that i had initally...

20. Lutz-R.F

Lutz-R.F Bit Poster

Hi, really impressed of the performance of such an early build ... imprressive

The Microsoft Store update described above has a big disadvantage, it removed the dependencies in my case too. So I looked for another way:
    Still disable auto-update, even some are obviously currently in update

! look for ": arm"
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers > ~/apps.txt;start ~/apps.txt

! first Microsoft Storevwithout touching the dependencies
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.WindowsStore_12011.1001.113.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore_12011.1001.1.0_x86.appx"

! remove faulty app versions
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsCamera | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MSPaint | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingNews | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingWeather | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Todos | Remove-AppxPackage -AllUsers

! add new - few FAST versions aswell
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2020.20110.11001.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppStubCS.Windows_2020.20110.11001.0_x86_Ship.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.47.59
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.WindowsCamera_2019.425.40.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\CameraApp_2019.425.40.0_x86.appx".0_neutral___kzf8qxf38zg5c\SkypeApp_14.47.59.0_x86.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_2019.20112.10116.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\Video_Core_Production_arm.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_3.7.78.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\App_3.7.78.0_x86.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.MSPaint_2020.420.2001.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\PaintStudio.View_6.2004.20027.0_Win32.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.BingNews_4.9.31001.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\News_4.51.22441.0_x86.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.BingWeather_4.9.30002.0_neutral___8wekyb3d8bbwe\Weather_4.46.22742.0_x86.appx"
    Add-AppxPackage -Path "\\Mac\Home\Downloads\Microsoft.Todos_2.34.33581.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Todos_2.34.33581.0_x86.appx"