Two big releases: Desktop for Mac Official Update AND Workstation 2.2!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Ben @ Parallels

Ben @ Parallels Member

I'm excited to let everyone know that we're releasing the final, official versions of both the Desktop for Mac Update, and version 2.2 of Workstation for Windows and Linux. I think you'll be really impressed with what both products have to offer.

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT BOTH PRODUCTS:
    • Both of these releases are FREE for registered customers, and will AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE if you have that feature enabled. If you have auto-update turned off, you'll need to download and install the new versions manually.
    • Upgrading will not require a re-install of any guest OSes or applications. You're just updating the Parlalels application package.
    • Remember to re-install Parallels Tools after upgrading
    • New users can download and evaluate either Desktop for Mac or Workstation for Windows or Linux free for 15-days. Download the product you'd like to try and get a trial key from the Parallels Download Center.
    On to the good stuff. Here's what's new in each product:

PARALLELS DESKTOP FOR MAC - OFFICIAL UPDATE
    • Works on ANY Intel-Mac with ANY memory configuration with no system modification. This includes Mac Pros with up to 16GB of RAM, and the full line of Core 2 Duo iMacs
    • Support for Windows Vista as a guest OS
    • Support for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard as a Primary OS
    • Better USB support, including support for isynchronous devices and Windows Mobile 5 devices

PARALLELS WORKSTATION 2.2 FOR WINDOWS & LINUX

• Full support for AMD Secure Virtual Machine Technology, and stronger support for Intel Virtualization Technology. For more information on why this is important, see my recent blog post on the subject.
    • Support for Windows Vista as a Guest OS
    • A new shared folder utility lets users share files and folders between OSes
    • Smoother sound and video support
    • Better networking; use WiFi connections in Linux primary OSes, and switch bridge connections between a LAN cable and WiFi connection on the fly in any guest OS.
    • Stronger support for USB devices, including support for webcams and Windows Mobile 5 devices
    Thanks again to everyone who participated in these beta programs!

2. lmhaffner

lmhaffner Junior Member

Just FYI, if you follow the Official Update link under the Mac version, it's still listed as RC2. Following the link at the bottom of that page gets you to the "old" RC2 page and downloads build 1922. On the other hand, build 1940 can be gotten by the main sidebar link to Desktop for Mac. So, does build 1940 = the official update? Or, is there one more that's missing on the web still?

3. palter

palter Hunter

If you click on "Upgrade now to the Desktop for Mac Update" link above, it takes you to the main Desktop download page. Build 1940 is posted on that page. So, I presume Build 1940 is the official update.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

I did rush to this one. My advise to others, don't rush to this one just yet.

5. johnaskins

johnaskins Bit poster

It works!

I've had my share of problems with various builds, but by golly this one just works. Nice job, Parallels developers. I hope you get filthy rich.

6. smartlp

smartlp Bit poster

AutoUpgrade Issue?

I am running version 2.20 Build 2050 Beta (08/23/06). When I attempt to "Check for Updates" I am told that I am currently running the most recent version.

Any ideas?

-Jason

7. constant

constant Forum Maven

There are a few problems with workstation 2.2, so it would not surprise me that the update process you are attempting to use, wont work until a patch update is issued.

8. barryw

barryw Member

Check for Upgrades

Jason - the same here, but I just went out and dl'd the new package, and installed it. It recognized that I was fully licensed.

Barry