Ubuntu as a Guest OS?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by TaoMacGuy, Jun 1, 2006.

1. TaoMacGuy

TaoMacGuy Junior Member

Are there any plans in the works for supporting Ubuntu Linux as a guest OS? I'd love to see this happen.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Yes - it is not officially supported yet, but many customers claims it works fine.

3. Shuffle

Shuffle Bit poster

Ubuntu Server does install but not boot

Hi Andrew,
    for me it does not work, system always hangs in any config while saying "Uncompressing Linux ... Ok, booting the kernel.". I am using Parallels under Mac OS X 10.4.6 on a MacBook Duo Core 2GHz, 2GB RAM.

Any comments on this (other than "Ubuntu is not supported yet!" ;-))?

Best regards,
    Tom
    P.S. It is Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS x86 and I already tried several RAM settings (256, 512, 768) as discussed here in the forum ...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  4. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

I've managed to install Ubuntu 6 Server, but PW ( I'm using Win32 ) always crashes on subsequent reboots. I'm sure I've seen a thread somewhere, that said this was a problem with PW, and that it would be fixed.

5. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

I've just installed kubuntu 6.06 on a VM with 256mb of ram. reboots and comes back up fine.

6. lifeless

lifeless Bit poster

Same problem here, hangs on the "Uncompressing" bit.

Running 20" iMac Core Duo w/2GB RAM. 512 megs allocated to Ubuntu. Installation went fine, an initrd is used during boot due to the fact that I configured my root partition as LVM.

Originally I set the VM as Linux-Debian, since Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, but after the first hang I changed it to Linux-Other Linux kernel 2.6. No change.

7. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Oddly, I've managed to install xubuntu from a Live CD with no problems, yet Ubuntu failed miserably. I wonder if it's a memory size issue?

8. agengler

agengler Bit poster

It was one of the first things I installed at beta 2 and it's been working like a champ since. It updates and everthing.

9. jeglin

jeglin Bit poster

LiveCD of DapperDrake worked OOTB for me, MacBook 2x2GHz, 2Gig RAM. After it booted, I hit the install button -> all OK, networking fine, etc. In parallels, I used only the default settings (I had already installed XP on another VM). Rez was 800x600.

Problem is, I can't get it to work at 1280x800 - Xserver fails on that rez and gdm just respawns. Have to reboot in recover mode and re-run the xserver-xorg configurator. At this point I have tried so many things that not even the configurator gives me a working window server any more. It's reiinstall time, maybe I'll try the Ubuntu server version and see if that fails or not...

10. IscariotJ

IscariotJ Member

Hmmm, wondering if the issue with Ubuntu is limited to PW. Hopefully, it will be one of the things that is fixed in the next release of PW...

11. trygve

trygve Bit poster

I've installed and run Ubuntu 5.10 & 6.06 just fine, my only problem is that in both, I can only get Parallels to bridge my Macbook Pro's wireless network to Ubuntu when I'm on my home network (an open network), but not at work (also an open network) or school (a PEAP authenticated network), even though my XP virtual machine bridges the same wireless just fine in all three places.

12. drewthaler

drewthaler Bit poster

different Ubuntu failure

Personally, I am having problems with the installation. I'm able to get most of the way through the installation, but after it installs the base system it tends to hang during the progress bar in "Select and install software" phase. I have tried both Linux-Other 2.6 and Linux-Debian.

It's gotten hung twice in a similar fashion: "Retrieving file 50 of 64" and "Retrieving file 52 of 64". Once it got through all 64 and then hung shortly after while preparing a package. I've tried disabling acceleration just for kicks, no difference.

To me it almost sounds like all of these hangs (mine and the others that are reported) are in decompression code. Any thoughts?

13. drewthaler

drewthaler Bit poster

Oh yeah, I'm trying ubuntu-6.06-server-i386.iso (booting direct from ISO) configured without LVM, and using Parallels RC2. Networking is disabled during setup. I'm going to try a Gnoppix Live CD next.

14. danboarder

danboarder Junior Member

Ubuntu 1680x1050

Ubuntu runs fine for me, I installed it under the debian default profile.

The big problem is getting widescreen resolution for full screen mode. Switching to Full Screen has black bars on each side (since it's trying to show 4:3 mode instead of 16:10 widescreen of 1680x1050.

I've tried editing the xorg.conf files and adding the new resolutions, but they don't show up in the Ubuntu "Set resolution" preference pane.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  15. psq

psq Bit poster

Trying to install Dapper Drake (server CD, 6.06), I'm also getting the hangs on the "Uncompressing" bit.

On the plus side, I was able to install Debian Sarge (3.1) without a hitch.

I'm on a 20" Intel iMac with 2Gb RAM. I've tried various configurations (debian, 2.6 kernel, other) to no avail. Sarge and Dapper use the same kernel, which is interesting.

next, I'm going to try without LVM, see if it helps. Any other option to try?

Anyone knows if there is a way to get the state of the VM, enable some tracing? or mount its file system to be able to check log files for example so one can debug what's going on?

Thanks,
    Pascal.

16. psq

psq Bit poster

Well, not using LVM did behave the same (hangs right after uncompressing the kernel). So after that, instead of using the server CD, I tried the desktop CD (Live CD), and it booted fine from the CD. And then using the installer available on the desktop, it installed fine and the reboot worked!
    Not sure what's different between the 2 installers, but now I have a working setup :)
    Thank you Parallels!