Ubuntu Linux, network and static IPs

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by potz1024, Dec 8, 2008.

1. potz1024

potz1024 Bit poster

Hi all,

I currently use a dedicated Ubuntu linux server for development and testing of web sites. I now need to be more flexible and take my work on the road with me. So, I've installed PD 4.0 and setup a Ubuntu Linux VM, but I'm having a few problems getting the network configuration perfect.

Requirements:
    * My laptop (the host) running Leopard 10.5.5 will not always be connected to a network, but must still be able to run the server and allow traffic (ssh, nfs, http etc) in both directions between the host and the VM.
    * Network addresses should be static in order that I can configure various names for the host and the server (using /etc/hosts in both the host and VM).
    * When available, the VM must be able to use the host's internet connection (WI-FI and USB Mobile Broadband).

So, configuring PD to use its internal DHCP server to dish out addresses I can meet almost all of my requirements, apart from having static address to configure in my /etc/hosts. If I switch the PD DHCP server off and configure the 'Parallels Shared Networking Adapter' on the host with a static address and the 'eth0' interface on my Linux VM with a static address it nearly works, only that the Linux VM doesn't know the default gateway, and I don't know the default gateway to configure it. I should at this point mention that I am using shared networking rather than bridged.

So, I guess the crux of my question is: When using shared networking, if I configure my network on the host and VM with static addresses, how can I find out, in order to configure, the magic address PD is allowing the VM to use as a gateway on the host computer?

For example:

Host Airport Interface (not too relevant): IP 10.76.1.20, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 10.76.1.1
    Host Parallels Shared Networking Adapter: 10.76.2.1, netmask 255.255.255.0
    Linux VM etho: IP 10.76.2.10, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway ????

Any thoughts?

:wq

2. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

Hello,

please make your Linux settings as following:
    IP address 10.211.55.7(it may be not 7 but any other digit from 3 to 254)
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 10.211.55.1
    DNS server 10.211.55.1

Sure, you may use another subnet, but it must be the same as in Parallels Desktop->Preferences->Network.
    And it should not be the same as your Mac subnet, because it will not allow shared networking to work.

3. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Here are few points about network configuration:

There is a file /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.xml,
    the host ip address and DHCP/NAT-server ip addresses are configured in this file and every reboot of host resets host network parameteres for Parallels Adapters to the parameters specified in this file.

The gateway on Linux VM, if you are not using the DHCP, should be the same as DHCP/NAT-server ip in the network.xml.

The Parallels NAT/DHCP daemon stores leases internally, so usually there is no need to configure the VM to have static address, since VM will receive the same IP address each time it starts. But if you need to do so, just use these parameters

4. potz1024

potz1024 Bit poster

Anna, Eric,

Thanks for your information, this really helps me understand what is going on. I'm sure I can now achieve the exact configuration I need with static addresses. It might be a nice future addition to the DHCP server configuration under Preferences -> Network to allow specific iP addresses to be reserved to either VM's or specific MAC addresses.

Thanks again,
    :wq

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Yep, this feature is in the ToDo list and it is almost completed.. it will not appear in the nearest update of Parallels Desktop though, but definitely will be implemented soon.

6. magadaner

magadaner Bit poster

I have the same problem. Could you please post here solution, if you find it. Thanks

7. RifatE

RifatE Bit poster

8. RifatE

RifatE Bit poster

also updating setting is meaningless as it gets reset
    upload_2018-11-18_19-16-1.png

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    RifatE, please describe what are you trying to configure.
    The file in current version of Parallels Desktop is /Library/Preferences/Parallels/network.desktop.xml
    It can be edited when PD is not running.