Ubuntu Studio 9.10 "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed"

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by mpemburn, Mar 12, 2010.

1. mpemburn

mpemburn Member

Hi All,

I just upgraded to Parallels 5.0 and am having great sadness with Ubuntu Studio 9.10. I had a lovely VM running under version 4.0 but I really wanted to be able to use Parallels Tools so I popped for the upgrade. When I installed Tools and rebooted the VM, it started giving me the error "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed" no matter what I did. Kinda bummed because I'd put a lot of work into that installation but had not taken the trouble to back it up :-(

Today, I decided to give a try with a fresh installation from the same image (ubuntustudio-9.10-alternate-i386.iso). It wouldn't do an automatic install so I had to do a 'custom' instead. I kept all of the defaults for "Ubuntu Linux", and ran the installation through to the end. When it rebooted, I found to my great dismay that it does the same thing: "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed". Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

*** Update ***
    I was able to get standard Ubuntu 9.10 to install with no problem under Parallels 5.0 this morning. It'll do for now. When I have time, I'll try updating it to Studio from within the VM. I've done this before and, while it's time consuming (with my abysmally slow connection), it's doable. I'll make a backup before I start this time!

Details:
    Parallels 5.0 build 5.0.9310
    MacBook Core 2 Duo 'Merom' 2.16 GHz
    3 GB RAM
    OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. vuthunguyen

vuthunguyen Bit poster

I change machine type to Solaris 10, then it boots OK. The only thing is I can't install Parallel tools, but, everything "working in the box" as is.

3. vuthunguyen

vuthunguyen Bit poster

I figured out what to do:
    1. Install Ubuntu Studio as Solaris 10 or 11 system, i will boot.
    2. Mount pr-tools-lin.iso
    3. Open Terminal
    4. Type Sudo su, enter
    5. Enter password
    6. type cd then tab space bar, then drag and drop cd-rom folder into terminal, follow by ENTER
    7. Drag and drop install file from the cd-rom folder, ENTER
    8. Follow the prompt

YES, I have a fully functional Ubuntu Studio in Parallels on Mac OS X