Unable to install parallels tools after 3212 upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by youngpaul, Jun 20, 2007.

1. youngpaul

youngpaul Bit poster

Has anyone else (I saw one thread that was closed, but its solution doesn't work for me) been unable to install the parallels tools after upgrading to version 3212?

I also get a "New Hardware Found" message, pointing at the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) device. what's up with that? Windows cannot find the drivers for it. Are the VGA device error and inability to install the parallels tools related?

When I select Actions->Install Parallels Tools, the program seems to do nothing. I can still move the mouse, but when I attempt to start any application up, the system just hangs. The mouse will still move, but I am unable to access the task manager or anything. Processor usage does not seem to increase (at least not appreciably). Worse - when I select Actions->Cancel Parallels Tools Installation, there is no change.

I have attempted to uninstall Parallels tools (and appear to have been successful - now I have to Ctrl-Alt to get my mouse and keyboard back every time). And the only way I can stop the VM is by hitting the stop button, rather than logging out and turning it off.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ankou

Ankou Guest

3. youngpaul

youngpaul Bit poster

Ankou,

The update was originally received automagically - PD told me it had downloaded the latest at put it on the desktop, so that's what I used. It had done that previously with three other versions(?), but none of them installed correctly either. One of them gave me the black screen, from which I could only backout the update and re-install 1970. Build 1970 is the last one that cleanly installed (and the one I'm using now, because it works).

So I tried what you suggested - I uninstalled 1970, downloaded 3212, and installed it. When it booted, it told me the PD tools were inconsistent or something along that line, so I did the old Add/Remove to remove it. It took about 5 minutes to respond, but did uninstall the tools. I then tried to install the tools from the Actions menu - same result. Nothing happens, and from that point forward, no applications will launch.

Any other thoughts? It's really frustrating - 3212 seemed quite a bit faster, and I'd like to use it, but I don't want to work without the tools.

4. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member

3212 is plagued with issues, although Parallels support will ignore you (funny how you got Ankou to respond to your post .. but my post and email was completly igorned).

At any rate, I've had major issues with 3212 since it was released. I can't do drag and drop from Mac OS X to Windows, and install was a pain.

At any rate, enough of my rant. Time for some helpful information. Try running the auto update again. Try uninstalling and reinstalling parallels (from Mac OS X).

You may have to backup your data off of your guest OS and do a clean install of Parallels and the OS to get the tools. Their should be some sort of installer kicking around though. I'll take a look & see what I can find.

5. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member

Sorry for double posting .. I dont want to edit.

I took a look through the documentation and here is what I found.

What you should need to do is mount the VMTOOLS.ISO as your CD drive (Devices -> CD-ROM [i think] -> should be an option here to mount an ISO). Then once it loads that up, there should be some sort of installer, or an installer should start automatically.

Try it and let me know what happens. Would be a lot better to try this, then to go through the nightmare of backing up, followed by a nuke & pave.

EDIT: The URL to the documentation (if you want to take a peek yourself) is here: http://download.parallels.com/v3/en/GA/Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide.pdf

6. youngpaul

youngpaul Bit poster

SnakeDriver,

I am unable to even "connect" the CD/DVD device when I try to mount that ISO image. The system locks up when I try even that. I had tried to do that when I read a similar post earlier.

The Floppy image seemed to mount OK, but there wasn't anything there that looked like an executable, if I recall correctly.

Any other thoughts?

7. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member

I read elsewhere there is a menu option (I believe in Actions) which is "Install Parallel Tools". If you can boot up windows long enough to run this, it will install the Parallels tools. If it crashes too quickly, sounds like a reinstall of the guest OS is in order (I'd also say email support .. though you will never see a response).

Let me know if the Actions -> Install Parallels Tools ... works

8. youngpaul

youngpaul Bit poster

SnakeDriver,

No, "Actions -> Install .." was the first thing I tried (it had worked under build 1970). After that failed, I started exploring the forums to see what might work.

9. SnakeDiver

SnakeDiver Member

My only suggestion then is to backup and do a clean install of Parallels and your Windows installation.

My other suggestion is to contact Parallels help. If you don't get an answer from the support team, let me know. I've got another email address I'll PM to you.