Unable to start Parallels in Leopard

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mikesart, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mikesart

mikesart Bit poster

I have installed Mac OS X 10.5.2 recently in a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro with 4Gb RAM on a new internal hard drive and migrated my files and applications from the original hard drive running OS X 10.4.11. Almost everything works except Parallels 3.0 (build 5584). I get a message saying it cannot communicate with one of it's drivers and that I need to restart it (makes no difference) or reinstall Parallels Desktop. Do I have to uninstall Parallels Desktop to reinstall it or just reinstall it anyway?

Thanks

mikesart

2. mjokerst

mjokerst Junior Member

Hello Mikesart

I believe you must uninstall Parallels as step 1.

Back in January, Parallels recommended that we uninstall parallels before upgrading to Leopard, then reinstall after the Leopard OS is up and running. (The web page where I read this has since been removed.) I believe it is still true. Build 5584 is the correct version, but you must uninstall your current Parallels (don't freak out, you will not lose your windows setup or applications in doing this), then reinstall Build 5584.

for further info on the uninstall, go here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20082 and read post number 2 by Xenos.

The operating system you previously installed within Parallels, including all settings and ownership verifications is found in a folder called "Parallels", inside your "Documents" folder. Do not erase anything in that folder during your "uninstall". I would make a backup copy of that folder just in case.

If that folder somehow did not migrate during your Leopard upgrade, find it if you have a backup of your Tiger install and get it onto your Leopard drive, in the same relative location. Parallels won't run without it.

When you reinstall Parallels, simply install the Build 5584 download as you did when running tiger. It will install the entire parallels program, and it will find your license info in the ~/documents/parallels folder noted above.

If that doesn't help, you might find some clues here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19108

Hope that helps, mjokerst

3. JeanD

JeanD Junior Member

Impossible to clean

I've also been having a hard time with parallels. It won't boot in Leopard. I tried to remove every trace of parallels (following all the steps mentioned in some other post) but to no avail. At one point the uninstaller said there was nothing to uninstall, despite the fact that I was looking at the folder with parallels (latest version) installed! On top of that, there was a parallels icns in the trash that didn't want to go away!.
    I'd love to get back to the virginal state without parallels, so that i can do a clean install, to the point of having to install my serial number again...is this possible?

I just want to be able to use the software i paid for.

Thanks

4. mjokerst

mjokerst Junior Member

Hello JeanD,

Not sure i can help you, you may get better advice by starting your own post. Nonetheless,...

Did you use Parallels uninstaller? If not, try that.

Xenos has a step by step list for uninstalling found here: (see Post 2)
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20082

If it was me, I might try installing Parallels (so create a complete installation that the Parallels uninstaller can work with), then immediately uninstall using the Parallels uninstaller, then erase any folders or files mentioned by Xenos in the above noted Post.

You can also use Spotlight to track down any Parallels fragments, but don't erase the home/documents/parallels folder in your home folder.

If Parallels is in the trash, it should'nt interfere with anything. If it won't go away (when you empty the trash) my mind is boggled.

Good luck, but please start your own Post, so maybe the experts out there will jump in to help.

5. JeanD

JeanD Junior Member

Thanks for your reply, mjokerst. Of course, I already did all that, and several times over. I managed to startup in safe mode, only then did the offending files let itself be deleted, or at least I think that's why i could delete it.

6. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Try just re-installing...

After upgrading to Leopard I just re-installed Parallels (without un-installing first) and was back in business.