Ununtu 8.10 Video

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by prioret, Oct 30, 2008.

1. prioret

prioret Junior Member

So in 8.10 Ubuntu moved to the new X windows that is suposed to detect your video system. It doesn't seem to work in parallels, It will only run in low-res mode. Any one figure out how to get it to work?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is the build number you are using?

3. 3rdEden

3rdEden Bit poster

Same issue, and I'm using the latest version 5624.

4. John@Parallels

I will try to check

5. prioret

prioret Junior Member

im using build 5624. When I try to install the parallels tools, it says xorg 1.5.2 vers found, it wants 1.5

6. John@Parallels

Yes, xorg changed, I am checking it

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

5624? I thought the latest was 5608... :|

8. John@Parallels

Specimen 5624 for Ubuntu 8.04

9. bkowalk

bkowalk Bit poster

Same problem here--Ubuntu 8.10 and build 5624. I was hoping that since 5624 is supposed to be a more stable build for Linux it would be able to handle the newest release. Let me know if I can provide any information that will help solve this. Seems like it should be able to handle xorg 1.5.2... is it that drastically different?

10. John@Parallels

Not drastically, but as mentioned in another thread, we are working to have some kind of updated tools

11. Miriup

Miriup Junior Member

But cheers at least for including Xorg 1.4 in the parallels tools. The "Check for updates" did not detect the new update for me yesterday. I think all the people that haven't done the latest dist-upgrade (I did it yesterday unfortunately) would be very happy to know about this new Parallels release.

BTW: I noticed that the timestamp in the parallels tools was in September. Maybe you guys should consider releasing the tools independent of the "Desktop" package (at least for the upgrades). I could imagine that the release process on your end for these bits is much shorter than the one for the host part. For the tools package I would even consider testing a betha version, because I'm really missing the Xorg video support.

12. roadworrier

roadworrier Junior Member

Same

Just FYI Y'all, Just checking in as another use with the same problem with ubuntu-8.10
    "Found xorg version 1.5.2
    Installation for xorg.1.5 not found"

13. Miriup

Miriup Junior Member

I just discovered that I made a snapshot just before the upgrade and that rsyncing the recent changes of home directory back into that old snapshot made me enjoy the Parallels Video driver again. I have to admit that virtualization is quite cool. ;-) And I would making a snapshot just before a dist-upgrade a recommended procedure. :)

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I don't recommend snapshots as a sort of backup/fail-safe method, in fact I strongly advice on relying on them for that. It would be safer to clone the virtual machine, snapshots are just diff files, and are not robust enough (specially if there's more than one) because they reduce redundancy which increases the chances of unrecoverable errors.

15. camflan

camflan Junior Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

16. camflan

camflan Junior Member

17. prioret

prioret Junior Member

That link points to the thread we are in, not you post on xorg.conf

18. richie_edinburgh

richie_edinburgh Bit poster

Hey Parallels team

Can you confirm there's still a fix coming for Xorg 1.5 on PD3 please? Any idea of when this might arrive?

19. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

20. richie_edinburgh

richie_edinburgh Bit poster

I don't see anything in there about up-to-date video drivers (which have been a problem in Ubuntu for some time). Or are you pointing me to the comments about the new features available in PD4?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.