Update to 4.0.3540 - can't update Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Maciej, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

I updated to 4.0.3540 from the previous 4.0 build. On VM start I got the message from Parallels Tools update: "cannot download installation package". This repeated on every restart, as well as after selecting "update Parallels Tools" from the menu. I tried turning off the firewall, to no avail.

Finally, I uninstalled Parallels Tools from the Control Panel, on restart chose to install them, and the process seems to have succeeded. Just a minor update issue, but, well, for some users it may be a hard one.

On the one hand I do find Parallels support very good, responsive, and they do fix the issues reported. On the other and I wonder if there should be a wider beta testing program, maybe for forum participants, as these initial builds are clearly for the technically-inclined, to say the least. So far I had the following problems:

1. Upgrade problem (upgrading to 4.0), resulting from a Leopard bug (circular link in a file system), solved on the Forum

2. A problem with 120dpi (large fonts) Windows setting, submitted to Parallels Support and apparently being worked on. I do appreciate that they do recognize it as a bug, not like some shameless companies who simply tell you not to use the large fonts setting. Parallels support on this one has been great so far.

3. The update issue with Parallels Tools, reported above.

So, altogether, I do think it should have been a beta :).

Best,

Maciej.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008