upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wingmate, Jun 19, 2006.

1. wingmate

wingmate Member

I was using the last beta version on my 20" Intel iMac before the official launch and it was working relatively well (with the exception that it wouldn't recognize my USB printers which made the use of my essential Windows programs useless). Two days ago, I paid for and downloaded the release version of Parallels Desktop. I clicked on the Parallels ...dmg icon (Created: Thursday, June 15, 2006 ...) to load it and followed the onscreen instructions. However, it went through an abreviated upgrade and never asked me for my activation code. When I click on the Parallels icon, it loads but with the notification that my trial subscription is about to expire and shows a version date of early June. Obviously it is not upgrading itself. I tried clicking the uninstall button and going through the installation process again with the same result.

I have sent a message to Parallels with the usual lack of response to my tech questions.

How the .... do I get this thing to load the current release (which I have paid for)?

2. knight42

knight42 Bit poster

The DMG has an uninstall icon in it, I believe - you'll probably need the one in the MG for the old version. When I upgraded I uninstalled from the DMG of the old Beta version I was using, then installed the new one from scratch.

3. wingmate

wingmate Member

problem resolved

By accident, I stumbled upon the solution to my upgrade issue. The solution was to simply go to the HELP button, select "Activate Product", and type in the Activation Key. Parallels Desktop appears to be up and running properly.

4. CoreDuo

CoreDuo Bit poster

I have the exact same problem, with one exception: I have no "help" button to go to! Maybe I'm stupid, but if you could tell me precisely where this button is, it would help. I only have the one screen when Parallels opens, so there may be a bigger problem...Thanks in advance!

5. wingmate

wingmate Member

Locating the HELP button

As I am new to the Mac World, I didn't know where to look either. I just stumbled upon it. Anyway, look on the top line of your Mac screen to the right of the little blue apple. Parallels should be in bold and then keep moving to the right and, voila, there you should find the Help button.

6. Joe Mac User

Joe Mac User Junior Member

wingmate means Help menu. Menus are those things in the bar at the top of the screen. Buttons are, um, other things. Examples would be "OK" and "Cancel" that you see in some windows, as well as the 'play' 'pause' and 'stop' buttons in the Parallels console window.