Upgrade to 3.0 -- Unanswered Questions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Chris Price, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

Yes, I believe this should be separate from the massive Parallels 3.0 thread. I am starting this thread specifically to address questions that have not been clearly answered by the Parallels team in regards to 3.0...

One of the really frustrating things about Parallels 3.0 is that we don't have answers to key questions.

Will Boot Camp interop support Vista?
    Will DirectX function under all graphics cards (specifically the GMA950)?
    What does Aero's "coming soon" status mean?
    Will Parallels ever link their forum back so that people know it exists? (Okay, that has nothing to do with 3.0 itself)

The beta program should have been more open... all registered owners should have been given an invite. However, until these questions are answered, I can't in good confidence suggest that Parallels owners upgrade.

2. Jack Dumphy

Jack Dumphy Member

3. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I don't want to be a beta tester because by the time they approve my request 3.0 will already be out and I may not have time for it then.

I just want access to whatever the current build of 3.0 is so I can tinker and see what I just paid for. This Release Candidate that I've heard about.

4. vioccc

vioccc Member

Yes.

Yes but Parallels won't magically turn your integrated graphics card into a powerfull 3D graphics card. If you want to play demanding 3D games, you'll still need to get a machine with a decent 3D graphics card.

Dunno.

5. Chris Price

Chris Price Junior Member

I realize the deplorable state of the GMA950's performance (I think Apple should never have put it on the MacBook... at worst it should have only been put on the Mac mini).

My concern is that with the GMA950 being partly driving Mac OS X that there won't be enough performance left for it to function properly. Those of you with GMA950's testing VMWare know what I'm talking about. After waves of updates, DX8.1 still doesn't work well with the GMA950 under VMWare. It's not a frames per second issue, it's more of a system stability issue that I'd like Parallels to address.

And to those of you that like the beta program, good for you. I would have applied had I been given an invite. However, like many people, I have a life and was not glued to the Parallels web site. Since all prior betas were offered openly, I had no reasonable notion to need to sign up for the beta program... just like everyone else that had a justified, valid set of reasons to want to test the product.

I still hold that Parallels screwed up the 3.0 beta, hopefully they'll take these lessons learned and give folks a heads-up about future betas... even if they want to offer them as closed betas for PR reasons.

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

These are conflicting requirements. You can't not be a beta tester and have access to the beta version. The 15-day preview version is not available until the GA version of 3.0 is available. If you don't mind paying $10.00 more for the GA code then wait until the preview is available, review it, the decide to buy or not.

7. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I've been doing it for the past year for every build released. It can be done, testing is largely completed it seems, and the features have been announced so non-disclosure is a non-issue.

So my point is valid and still stands.

You have problems reading? I already paid for it, I'm just waiting to use it now. They certainly could give people who paid the benefit of tinkering with the RC until the final is gold. I don't know who you are or why you think you're an authority on the subject but I was inquiring to people who might actually work for Parallels.

Thanks.

8. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

I think that Parallels might have ONLY done one thing wrong, is that they didn't mass E-mail their customers about their new beta testing program. Although they have a big banner about their beta program on their website. Also really, Parallels isn't responsible for your lack of time to check their website.

Like dkp said you'll get a 15 day free trail to 3.0 once it's release. So really, you have nothing to lose.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

That was then - this is now. The rules have changed and you are still wandering around in the past.

No problems reading at all. I do wonder about your capacity to understand the new rules and roles with Parallels 3.0. What you want is not available to you. You purchased an offer to receive at discount a product that will be delivered at a later date. They were very clear about that. Get over it.

10. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I won't be installing the 15 day trial because I'll be installing the full version with the key I already have for 3.0.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

By doing it the way they did they got the most interested parties to choose from, and they applied what ever subsequent selection criteria to that group. The resulting group of qualified beta testers was, hopefully, the most technically qualified of the most interested customers. Not a bad process in my book.

12. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

No, as a customer I'm going to continue to make suggestions and recommendations. This is somehting many people have been asking for in the forums and you have no right to discourage us from making these suggestions. So, as you put it, get over it.

13. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Yeah, you're in the same boat as me. So what's your point? Parallels didn't force us to upgrade when we did.

14. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

John, there is a big difference between suggesting something, demanding something, and expecting something that is against policy. You've demanded and expected access to a version you've no right to see. If you wish to see an example of a suggestion, see mine in another thread regarding starting a new forum for version 3.0 issues. I have no expectation they will do so, and I'm certainly not demanding they do what I suggest.

I'm quite familiar with making suggestions here. It is effective and they do pay attention, and you have to have a compelling basis for the suggested change. One such change I suggested is creating a separate beta test program with pre-qualified testers, and a forum for them different from this one so that beta issues would no longer overlap with production issues. They did that, I'm happy to say. I also strongly recommended they disable global sharing as a default because it is inherently less secure to have it automatically enabled. Especially for people who don't completely understand the threat it presents. That too was changed. You're welcome.

And there is no difference between the preview version and the full version. It's the same distribution but behaves differently based on the activation keys you provide.

15. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Ok, one more time for the fun of it.

I'm not upset that I bought early! So can we let that go?

I was inquiring, that if the actual release was not apparently imminent (AKA: soon) that maybe those of us who already purchased (committed passer-bys) might have access to whatever the last release candidate is (not for beta testing or providing any substantial feedback) just to get a glimpse of the many new features we just invested in (similar to past experience with this wonderful company)

That's all, not unhappy or bummed, just making a suggestion. Anyway, it doesn't even matter since the release appears to be imminent anyway and that effort would be pointless for such a short time.

Does that adequately explain what I was getting at? Maybe?

16. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I've not demanded or expected anything. So get your hand out of your pants.

It would be nice, it's worth bringing up, that's was my point the whole damn time. Find a quote of mine where I demanded or expected something or leave me the fuck alone.

17. rkadowns

rkadowns Junior Member

Entitlements

The only thing you are entitled to is what you paid for and what you paid for will be coming soon. You didn't pay for the development builds and you didn't pay for them in the past. You also were not entitled to the development builds in the past. Parallels simply thought it would benefit them if they released them to the public. Apparently they no longer believe this and changed their policy in this matter. They reserve the right.

As a registered user of 2.5, you still get a hefty discount for the upgrade. If holding on to your money is so important to you then you should have held on to it until 3.0 was released so you could test it before you purchased. You would have lost $10 but could have saved more if you decided that 3.0 wasn't worth the upgrade. Now you are out of $40 whether you like it or not. I hope you like 3.0.

Honestly, patience is a virtue.:(

18. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Happy to help:

19. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

I meant a QUOTE FROM ME. Something I SAID since you've chose to antagonize me here.

20. John the Geek

John the Geek Member

Please read my posts before you reply to them, ok? Explaining what I already know is pointless, and I've said over and over again that I'm fine with the pre-order. My original suggestion was to the Parallels staff, a wish, desire, whatever... Having everyone sell me as a bad customer for being eager to play with the new release it getting old and pissing me off.