Upgrade to 4 Failed - Unable to Rename Folder During Conversion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by planetkingdom, Nov 15, 2008.

1. planetkingdom

planetkingdom Bit poster

I am trying to upgrade from V3 to V4 on a MacBook Air with a pata drive (not ssd) and trying to convert an XP VM.

The back up of the old VM files worked without a problem. The conversion of the V3 files fail with the following error message:

Unable to rename the folder "/Library/Parallels/winxp.1

The folder winxp.1 is where my VM is located. The library folder is in the root.

Any advice before I delete V4 and try to reinstall V3?

2. wealthychef

wealthychef Junior Member

I have the same problem. Have you solved it?

I get this error:

Unable to rename the folder "/Users/rcook/Library/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP".

Make sure that this folder is not used by another application and you have the permission to rename it.

Of course that's ridiculous, I do have permission to rename the folder.

3. wealthychef

wealthychef Junior Member

Well, apparently not so ridiculous. The Finder said I had permission to move it around, but when I dragged it to the desktop, it asked for Admin password. So I went to the terminal and did a
    sudo chown rcook ~/Desktop/Parallels and it was able to continue.

4. planetkingdom

planetkingdom Bit poster

Solved

I was able to finish installation by moving the parallels folder from the root directory to the directory of a user. This has the same effect by moving the parallels folder to the desktop.

I believe the problem is that not even the admin user has the rights to change the name of a folder in the root library file. As a long time Parallels user, I suspect earlier versions of Parallels installed the program files in the Library folder of the root directory. I guess the Parallels team didn't incorporate the location of this file into their upgrade program.

Installers beware: There are other gotcha's.

An XP installation which requires a password throws the upgrade into a delay.

Also if the XP installation does not have sufficient space to run the "CD Rom" installation program that is the second phase of the program, again the user has to figure out what to do. Fortunately, the phase 2 installation is far enough along that XP starts and files can be deleted in the XP volume to make room. Why didn't the installation program check for space?

Seems like a $40 beta upgrade for the privlege of this entertainment.