Upgrading from 3.0 to 5.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JephC, Nov 20, 2009.

1. JephC

JephC Bit poster

My office bought us Parallels 3.0 when it first came out and just recently bought us the upgrade to 5.0.

5.0 installs fine, but when it asks for the activation key from a previous version and I enter the one on the back of my cd sleeve I get "The specified key cannot be used to activate the product". After a round of phone calls and being asked to buy support for a product I can't use yet, I come here asking for help.

Could someone tell me how I can install and use the 5.0 software and possibly why it won't let me upgrade from a 3.0 disk?

2. bbryan

bbryan Bit poster

Me too

I'm having the same problem. Bought version 3, purchased upgrade to version 5, when I enter my upgrade activation key it asks for the activation key for the previous version of Parallels. When I enter my version 3 key it says, "The specified key cannot be used to activate the product."

3. matt murphy

matt murphy Bit poster

same issue

i am having the same problem. i did a chat with parallels and was informed i should talk to nova development, who are the distributors. has anyone figured out how to make ths work?

4. jhho

jhho Bit poster

Same problem...more than a year later

I'm TRYING to upgrade from 2.0 to 5.0 and get the same "The specified key cannot be used to activate the product." when getting to the point of entering in the Old activation key.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or information on how they were able to resolve this issue????

Thanks in advance!

5. I-che

I-che Pro