Upgrading Parallels after Moving to OSX 10.5

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rsleonard, Nov 3, 2007.

1. rsleonard

rsleonard Bit poster

Hello, all.

I originally purchased Parallels Desktop 3.0 on April 8 of 2007.

I upgraded my operating system to 10.5 today; when I started up Parallels subsequently, it hung. So I restarted my machine, went to the Parallels website, and read that I should upgrade to 5160. BTW, when I "Checked for Updates" while running Parallels it said that my build, 3214, was current. In any event, I downloaded the 5160 update, ran it which converted my VM, and it then asked for my Activation Code, which I entered. I then got the message that my Activation Code was not valid with this version??? I bought 3.0 and have the invoice to prove it (was done online).

Any ideas what's going on here?

2. KingCrimson

KingCrimson Bit poster

3. eumex208

eumex208 Bit poster

Hi!

Is there a solution available, meanwhile?
    Does anybody know what to do about the activation problem?

If not...I´ll buy Fusion now :(

Cheers
    Andrea

4. KingCrimson

KingCrimson Bit poster

Hi,

I found a solution for my prob: just search for the auto-update downloads, they are stand-alone installations ;-) Install the latest and You should be able to register ...

Cheers,

Andreas

5. eumex208

eumex208 Bit poster

Hi Andreas,

First, thanks for your quick reply!!
    But, I am a bit confused about "auto-update downloads"...some background information would be great :)

To make my problem clear: I installed OSX 10.5 from scratch, not via Update or OSX-migration manager. The same way I installed Parallels 3.0 ( 1) Downloaded the newest built from the parallels website; (2) installed; (3) and then the cruicial activation key question came up).

So, I believe, I don´t have any auto-update download?

Thank you sooo much for a hint!

Andrea

6. KingCrimson

KingCrimson Bit poster

Hi Andrea,

I had a running installation that crashed an needed to be reinstalled. I was unable to install the CD-version, it was too old and crashed prior to registration and auto-update. I tried to download the current version from parallels.com and this version doesn't work with my CD-Key.

To solve this, I found the workaround with the auto-update installation.

Sorry, but it seems it was a different problem ...

Cheers,

Andreas

P.S.: No reply from customer service, my request was send on 03.11.2007 :-/////