Upgrading to 3.0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gtief, Jun 19, 2007.

1. gtief

gtief Bit poster

I run 2.5 now and can not uügrade to 3.0. Every time I try to upgrade via Help -> Ceck for upgrades, I am told that my PD is up to date.

What do I overlook ?

Thank you !

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You cannot use the Parallels Update tool in 2.5 to upgrade to 3.0 because 3.0 is an upgrade, not an update, and you have to purchase it for $49.00 USD.

You can download 3.0 by using the Download link at the top of this page and request a trial key. If you choose to upgrade then make sure you save backups of your virtual machines. 3.0 modifies them in a way that makes it impossible to use them again in 2.5.

3. affliction

affliction Bit poster

What is the actual proceess for upgrading? I have a 3.0 upgrade key but still have 2.5 installed. Do I just donwload the trial version off the website, install it over top of 2.5, and then use the new key to activate?

4. w7ox

w7ox Hunter

Pretty much. I had a couple of minor glitches; others have had bigger problems, it seems.

Took me maybe 30 min to install and an hour to deal with the glitches, with help from reading here.

BTW -- if you have a fixed disk size vs. expanding, and want it bigger, do it with 2.5 first. Version 3 does not yet have the capability to do that; but it is promised "soon". Fortunately my Win disk is 30 GB, plenty big.

Phil

5. cartemere

cartemere Bit poster

I have a question concerning the update process.

I have for now a 2.5 version of parallels, but a "special" one : I bought the "box" release in a french store, and got a "uk" release instead of an "en" one. :(

This means up to now :
    * I was unable to use my serial with a fresh new release downloaded from parallels website, or with any of the beta versions of parallels
    * I had to wait for several days until the "uk" release gets available, and then update my release...

If I update my current release (2.5 uk) to v3.0, will I get a "en" or "uk" key ?

I admit I'm fed up with this "uk" release that is (in my opinion) a "restricted" one (I do not have access to all the features, including beta testing and instant downloading of a new release). :mad:

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

By the way, Be sure to back up your version 2.5 .hdd and .pvs files before installing the trial version.