Upsizing the HD-space on a running virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Wolfgang Rausch, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Wolfgang Rausch

Wolfgang Rausch Bit poster

Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum.

Since a year I use the parallels-software without big problems. I have installed windows vista several times, because it made in the beginning several problems. I use the currently build of parallels „Parallels-Desktop-5608-Mac-de-AQ.dmg“.

Since a couple of weeks, vista shows me that there are only about 4 GB left of the 32-GB-virtual HD. Besides the system of Vista there is not that much software installed. How can I increase the amount of my virtual HD without building a new system.

The problem is not to re-install parallels and vista. It's the re-installing of the additional software. You know the additional dll's and other data.

Best greetings and thanks

Wolfgang

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can use Parallels Image Tools and increase Disk size for virtual disk
    After that in Vista in Disk Management expand disk c: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Please perform backup of Virtual Machine using one of the suggestions in
    Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from
    http://www.parallels.com/en/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf
    on page 243, e.g cloning Virtual Machine, or simply copying Virtual
    machine folder (when Parallels Desktop is in stopped state), such
    operations if incorrectly performed can lead to data loss.

3. Wolfgang Rausch

Wolfgang Rausch Bit poster

Thank You, John@Parallels!!

Because I've been impatient and busy, I've looked up on older threats and found the keyword „Paralles ImageTool“. The help of that Programm showed me the upsizing of my vm's hd. In windows vista I looked for the HD-management tool and made the 13 GB upsizing amount available to vista.

I didn't make any backup, because my MacBook Pro has only a HD-amount of 160 GB totally and a free space of about 42 GB. The time-machine-backups will do.

And now I'm happy, that I made it on my own!!

Thanks again to everybody and best greetings

Wolfgang

PS. How can I submit, that my problem found a solution?

W