usb autoconnect

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ryanm1903, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ryanm1903

ryanm1903 Bit poster

i was just wondering, is there any way (or will there be in a future release) to choose whether a usb device connects to osx or the vm upon connecting it, like some sort of dialogue box or whatnot? if not, it would certainly be useful in a future release

2. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

Along these lines, how do I get Paralles to release a USB device such that OS X can mount it? At the moment, as soon as I insert my USB memory stick into the computer, Windows under Parallels gets it. I haven't found any way to release it from Windows/Parallels such that OS X can then use it.

I can safe unmount it from Windows and I can get the checkbox to go away from the device in the Parallels device menu. But even after all that, how do I then get OS X to see it?

This is with PW 2.1b6 on a MacBook Pro, guest OS Windows 2000 SP4.

3. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

OK, this turned out to be simple. After shutting down the guest OS I turned off USB Autoconnect and CD ROM autoconnect in the VM settings. Now when I insert a USB device OS X gets it first. If I want WIndows to see it I eject it under OS X then connect it to Parallels using the Device menu. If I need to go back to OS X I safely remove from Windows then I physically remove the device from the computer. Once plugged back in OS X sees it again.