USB-devices won't work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RolandK, Jul 14, 2009.

1. RolandK

RolandK Bit poster

Hi there,

I have a problem after upgrading to Parallels 4. The Upgrade vom v3 worked without any problem. But with v4, i can't use any USB-device. If I plug it in (e.g. external hard drive or TV-Stick), Parallels asks if I want to use it in the virtual machine or in Mac OS. If i choose virtual machine, nothing happens. The device doesn't show up in the explorer and programs that use USB devices like the TV-stick say that the device is missing.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. desgael

desgael Pro

Do you use any kind of USB-hub?
    Also, in Parallels menu -> Devices do you see the device you plug in?
    Does this happen with something like external hard disks or memory stick?

3. RolandK

RolandK Bit poster

Hi,

no, I only use the USB ports of the macbook pro. It happens with any kind of usb-device, hard drives, usb-sticks, card-reader, i tried anything I've got.
    When I plug it in, the question virtual machine/mac pops up, so Parallels seems to register that something's there.
    The devices also show up in Parallels USB menus. But they don't show up in the Windows Explorer and Windows can't use them.

4. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

I would request you to perform below steps:

1. Click on the below link to download the DMG file of latest update of Parallels:

http://download.parallels.com/deskt...lsDesktop-parallels-en_US-4.0.3844.408728.dmg

2. After downloading the DMG file, open it and choose uninstall and make sure to select "Application Settings" while uninstalling.

3. Then open the same DMG file and choose install.

4. Launch Parallels Desktop and start Windows.

5. Uninstall Parallels Tools from add or remove programs(start menu/control panel), after uninstalling, restart Windows.

6. Install Parallels Tools from virtual machine tab on top menu bar.

Thank You.

Anupama
    Parallels Team

5. RolandK

RolandK Bit poster

Thanks everyone, things are working now. I deleted the virtual machine and the program and started from scratch. Now everything works fine. But i think I'll still return to P3 after the Trial Period, P4 doesn't bring much improvement for my work with Windows, it somehow even feels slower than P3.

6. mrutter

mrutter Member

Hello,
    me too have the same problem with USB (I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.7, Parallels Desktop for Mac 4.0.3844, OS guest is Windows Vista Ultimate Italian with SP2).

When I connect an USB device (i.e. and external disk) and I choose "Virtual Machine" Windows seems to do nothing. If I go to the control panel and I select Device Management, clicking on the "Discover new devices" button works and the attacched USB device is recognized correctly.

When I choose "Mac" (after plugging the USB device) everything works fine and I can see the USB device in Windows as a network drive.

Hope this may help you.

Sincerely.
    Marcello

7. mrutter

mrutter Member

Just a last note.
    I noticed that not all devices must be "discovered" manually. Today I connected an USB-RS232 converter to my Mac, I choosed to forward it to the virtual machine and Windows immediately recognized the device.

Thank you.
    MR

8. BSartist

BSartist Member

Has anyone truly resolved this problem?

I have had this same problem with a thumb drive but just stopped bothering to use it.

Now I have purchased a 1TB USB drive to use as a backup device from my windows virtual machine. I named the drive "W" and used it all last night to copy my files to it. Now, today, when I bring up the virtual machine, turn on the drive and let it pass to the VM, the W drive is not there. If I go into the parallels menu under Devices -> USB the External is checked. I tried unchecking it (then my MAC sees it outside the VM) and then recheckinf it (MAC loses it as expected because it is connected to the VM now) but the drive does not show up.

This is a pretty glaring bug that has been around since V4 was released and I can't believe that it has not been fixed. Now I really need this fixed because this drive is too important to me.

I believe there was a workaround posted some time ago where you can shut down the virtual machine, go into the VM config, delete USB devices and then re-add them. That would work as a one-off but then the problem comes back. Surely this is NOT an acceptable workaround for everyday use. If I have to do that everytime I wanted to back up my files, I would end up not doing it.

Bill Smith

9. ruthlg

ruthlg Bit poster

I have the same problem. Nothing I've tried has worked. Had this problem with Parallels 3, but it was solved when I bought a new flash drive, so I figured something was wrong with the old one despite it working everywhere else. Just upgraded to Parallels 4 and my new flash drive no longer works.

10. BSartist

BSartist Member

I have discovered an inconvenient workaround. In my case, if I power the drive up before booting the virtual machine, it will be seen and mapped to a drive letter. This really defeats the purpose of USB devices doncha think???

Poor.

11. Tom white

Tom white Bit poster

PDA not seen in parallels

I'm having trouble also not seeing an HP iPaq with a speaking program called Chat PC/Silk. The XP sees the device in the USB config file, all my settings are correct, but when ActiveSync tries to find the device I get the message that "no com ports are installed". The Chat PC program doesn't use com ports, only USB, so I'm mystified.

Not familiar with serial port terminology, so any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

12. Tom white

Tom white Bit poster

Problem fixed in XP

Using a fix I'd found to another thread, I discovered that my XP had "no USB host controller" installed...double clicking on the line caused the Windows Wizard to search and install....Problem solved!

13. bugmenot2

bugmenot2 Bit poster

Found Fix For My Device

Same problems as above. This worked for me (XP Virtual Machine USB Root Hub installed - as per normal XP installation):

- Connected USB device and chose to have it connected to the VM (versus the Mac)
    -with VM running, went to Parallels Desktop - > Preferences (from main Mac menu bar)
    - USB -> Permanent Assignments
    - device (Garmin GPS with SD Card) wasn't listed had to turn it on and off to get it to show up in the USB Device column
    - added permanent assignment of device to 'Microsoft Windows XP'

Clicked OK and it was then connected (without the little lock showing beside the device name when clicking the USB icon at the bottom of the VM window).

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  14. Andrew Davidson

Andrew Davidson Junior Member

this still doesnt work for me... I get a USB device not recognised when I plug my Garmin GPS in, I have installed the latest GArmin USB drivers.

Any help appreciated
    build 4.0.3 848

15. wmlaven

wmlaven Bit poster

I'm having similar problems. Whenever I hook up a USB device (2 different card readers and a printer, specifically) I get the message "USB device cannot be connected at this time. try again later." No matter what I do, I can't can't them to connect. Device Manager has the USB hub installed, but never reads my device.

What to do?

the only reason I got Parallels was for a Windows-only program that is for image maintenance so connecting a USB card reader is ESSENTIAL and it's really frustrating that it won't work.

16. I-che

I-che Pro