USB Dongle woe

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Pequod, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Pequod

Pequod Bit poster

Am I the only person who can't get USB dongles to work in Parallels?
    I've read through the archives and would have tried the suggestion of disabling and enabling the Aladdin HASP in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, but the dongle doesn't even show up.
    Whatever I try, I get the dreaded "Device is being used by another program" message.
    And in common with a lot of folks here, even after a promising reply to my initial email, Parallel support has just ignored me.
    Has anyone with similar experience solved this?

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Try pluging the usb dongle in after your vm has fully loaded.

kat

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

...And once your VM has completely loaded, and you have plugged in your dongle, go to the Parallels/Devices/USB menu to attach it to your VM.

4. Pequod

Pequod Bit poster

Thanks. I'm afraid I've already being doing that, and making sure USB devices are not automatically loaded.
    I've also limited my USB devices to just a mouse and keyboard.
    I wonder if running the VM off the Boot camp installation is causing the problem.

5. kat

kat Product Expert

sorry Pequod, I am not using boot camp, I have parallels on mac desktop..hope you get the help you need.

kat

6. crjolliff

crjolliff Bit poster

I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem; though, I'm not using a boot camp installation. The odd thing is, it used to work. I'm not sure when it stopped working. I've updated parallels and Mac OS several times since I last tried using my dongle. I've already tried the suggestions in this thread, but I still get the "...being used by another application..." message. Any ideas?

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, what builds are you all using?

8. crjolliff

crjolliff Bit poster

Build 3212.

9. Cruiser

Cruiser Bit poster

I am also using build 3212 and have a similar problem. I have been using my Garmin GPS on Mapsource a few times but last time I tried to connect I got a message saying that the USB Device was being used by another application and that I must close that application. I only use it in the one application as it does not work under the MAC OS.

I have tried shutting down the VM and also the MacBook but to no avail. It did work before but no more.

I now have also a similar problem with my USB HDDrive which also worked previously. (it still works in MAC)

10. crjolliff

crjolliff Bit poster

Fixed!

I updated parallels to build 3214 and everything works perfectly. I hope this works for the rest of you.

11. Cruiser

Cruiser Bit poster

Updated my Parallels but still not able to connect USB devices that previously connected

12. Patrick Verhey

Patrick Verhey Bit poster

Hi,

I have excactly the same problem (see previous thread) and I still don´t have any idea. I finally updated parallels to release 3.0 but its still the same! I tried everything but nothing helped!

It seems that dongles are not working in virtual enviroments. I know that a HASP Dongle works with Bootcamp.

I´m really going mad on this........