USB-parallel port (25 pin)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Laser_jock, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Laser_jock

Laser_jock Member

I have a legacy Win program that requires a dongle to operate (in this case the dongle connects to the 25-pin parallel port). i know that there are USB<-->25-pin parallel port adapters out there so that is not a problem...but I figured I query our group here to see if anyone has tried this with Parallels yet, so that I can avoid reventing any wheels that needed to be invented.

TIA

2. drozek

drozek Bit poster

Hey I am not sure if this would help. But I used a serial to USB converter for my Microprocessor class. There were drivers when I bought the converter. Boot your parallels and then plug in the cable and then install the drivers.

3. santosha

santosha Bit poster

Hi Laser,
    same problem here.

Did you find a solution?

Anyone at Parallels can answer to this?

Regards

4. glsanders

glsanders Bit poster

same prob here

Anyone at Parallels care to address this? I've got a USB to DB25 adapter cable hooked up. Parallels sees it as a IEE-1284 controller in the USB menu . I've installed the Sentinel drivers but no luck launching the app. It doesn't see the dongle. This could be a deal breaker for us, bummer , we hoped to convert over a bunch of workstations.
    :(

5. Jisi

Jisi Member

Hi.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a Parallel2USB (like those Serial2USB) Converter available. The USB to parallel "adapters" which can be bought implement a special USB device class (IEEE1284 Bridge), which is only suitable for printers. Many of those adapters are based on the Prolific PL2305 http://prolific.com.tw/eng/Products.asp?ID=6.

The main problem is, that thos adapters dont provide a virtual LPT Port (e.g. "LPT12"), which would be needed to use them as a drop in replacement for a parallel port.

There is _one_ way I know of that might work, but that involves some tinkering: http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund um den PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en
    . That project includes drivers which provide a "real virtual" LPT Port. But since I haven't one of those and don't know whether they work under Parallels.

This is not a Parallels problem but rather a problem with USB2Parallel adapters