USB Support - B6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by agrj, May 2, 2006.

1. agrj

agrj Member

Hi,

just for an update of the information.

I just update for B6, and I have 2 situations:

1 - the serial adapter continues to work, great!!!

2 - my microchip programmer (ICD2) was partially recognized. it uses a kind of 2 drivers. the first one called main, and the second one called client. the Parallel recognized the programmer and installed the first driver, but as soon as it was installed the message saying that the device was in used by another application appears again, and it was not possible to install the second driver. so it still not working but I think you are in the correct path.

I already bought the licence, but I do need this implementation.

again. it works at boot camp.

thanks

Aryldo G Russo Jr
    Gerente de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento
    Grupo AeS

2. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

Can you say which serial adapter works? I use the Keyspan adapter (normally an excellent device) and it does not work.

Regards,

Roch

3. agrj

agrj Member

Serial Adapter

Hi,

I'm using an omega (prolific) serial adapter. (diver P0203h...)

thanks

Dinho

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

Still doesn't work -- Beta 6 patched USB

Ross-tech KEY-USB model KC104176 Rev B ODB-II interface:

The program sees it, and reads its internal memory for license info, but it won't talk to the car. Plug the same hardware into a regular PC, same software and OS, works fine.

This with Beta6 patched. Networking works fine with airport though. Make this work and I don't need the PC any more.

5. cmpi

cmpi Junior Member

USB audio Device?

Anyone had any luck with USB audio devices? I'm trying to use a Plantronics USB Headset with Avaya IP SoftPhone.

From what I have observed in Parallels USB implementation, if the mac has a driver for your device, and that device is not easily ejectable (like a flash card), then it's a no go on the VM.

This is specially true in USB audio devices.... OSX just picks them up, and I see no easy way of ejecting them.

(tried with a turtle USB audio adapter, same result)

Any ideas?

6. agrj

agrj Member

Just an Update. RC version and still ICD2 from microchip don't work. I still get the 5-10 seconds to wait message. Please, this is the main reason I have bought the PW!!! I need to use it in my work!!!

any idea when it will be fixed?

7. andreid

andreid Bit poster

USB to serial adapter

Hi,

I have Aten UC-232A adapter. It works as Prolific Pl2303 under Mac Os X but in Parallel Desktop it does not except its original Aten driver neither Prolific one. So it does not work.

8. powell

powell Junior Member

I just received my MacBook Pro today, and my hope, ney dream is to get rid of my StinkPad that I keep around to run VAG-COM, ETKA, and the Bentley manuals.

Unfortunately, it sounds like I will have to use BootCamp for Windows for the time being if parallels doesn't support those things. Of course, I can keep using the stinkpad until parallels supports them.

Glad to hear that someone else hopes to use VAG-COM!

9. daniel

daniel Member

Did you get the VAG-COM working with Parallels? I just got a MacBook Pro, and I own two VWs (2006 Jetta TDI, and 2003 Jetta 1.8T) and I am very interested in using a VAG-COM with my new MBP, thru Parallels.

Thanks for your help.

10. joem

joem Forum Maven

I have it sort of working. I can read and clear codes, and read parameters, but eventually it disconnects reporting too many communication errors. Restarting lets me use it a while longer. It's barely usable and quite annoying. If I had to use it every day, I'd use bootcamp or a PC. Actually, I'm keeping a PC laptop around still just for that program. I'm looking forward to the next release of Parallels with better (I hope) USB support.

I think Ross-Tech could probably make it more robust if they wanted to since the communication rate is VERY slow even compared to USB 1.1.

11. Radak

Radak Bit poster

Did you do anything special to get it to work even this well? Like an earlier poster, I can get the interface to recognise, but I can't communicate with the car at all. (Using a HEX+CAN here with either a B5 S4 or a B7 RS4, same results.)

Unfortunately, Ross-Tech refuse to support emulated environments at all. Understandable, but Uwe appears uninterested in putting in even a minimal amount of effort to try to improve the situation for us non-PC users. Disappointing.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  12. joem

joem Forum Maven

Nope. Just installed the upgrade (Parallels GA) and it worked (sort of). I'm running Win2k (hate XP), testing on a 2000 S4.

13. esz

esz Junior Member

vag-com and parallels...

I'm trying to get parallels working with my vag-com on a macbook. My vag-com interface is serial based (hex-com+can), so I went out and got a usb-serial adapter. This combo does not work at all (interface not seen...). I thought that this was due to the usb-serial adapter being incompatible somehow, but it sounds like some of you are also having trouble with the vag-com usb interface?

Anybody got their vag-com working inside parallels?

cheers!
    s.

14. esz

esz Junior Member

More Vag-Com testing...

I tested my serial-usb adapter on my windows PC, and it connected to the vag-com (serial) interface and communicated with the car flawlessly. So that rules out the serial-usb adapter.

I also downloaded the latest build 1862 beta parallels and tried that since they mentioned some improvements to the usb code, but it still doesn't see the interface when plugged in to the macbook through parallels...

Hopefully we'll get usb fully working in parallels soon, and I can get rid of the winblows pc altogether.