Use of multiple networks?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by prescor, Dec 18, 2006.

1. prescor

prescor Bit poster

I do some consulting for a Doctor's office. They've been a Mac operation for years. They currently have a hospital-provided PC and printer that is on the Hospital's LAN. The hospital prefers that the Office computers NOT be on their LAN, so the Office has a separate broadband connection.

The hospital is, however, making recommendations that this office start making use of the Hospotal's billing system, which would mean A) Windows and B) access to the Hospital's LAN from these Windows instances.

The office has brand new Intel iMacs. My question is: if I buy a separate USB NIC for each iMac, can I keep the "hot side hot and the cool side cool," as it were, and tell the Mac OS to use NIC A and the Parallels/Windows OS to use NIC B?

I'm 99 44/100% sure the answer is "yes," but before I have them lay out the cash for all this, I want to make sure!

Thanks.

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Why spend all that money? Get a wireless access point, connect it to the broadband connection, and use Airport for OSX, and the wired Ethernet connection for Parallels. Then if, for some reason you can't get it to work, you're only out $40 for the access point.

3. tomservo291

tomservo291 Member

Yes you can isolate specific adapters for each VM. But like the previous poster mentioned, you already have two built in (wired ethernet, airport.) Use a wireless access point for the office (os x) and connect to the hospitals lan for windows.