Using Bitlocker for disk encryption

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aragornii, Mar 26, 2009.

1. aragornii

aragornii Junior Member

I'm running Windows 7 Beta using a boot camp partition and Parallels. It works flawlessly.

I want to turn on Bitlocker for disk encryption of Windows 7. Is this possible? I couldn't get it to work directly, but am wondering if there is a workaround.

Thanks.

2. STim

STim Bit poster

What is the issue with Bitlocker that prevents it from working properly?

I remember one customer who had problem with some disk encryption utility during VM boot time (he described the issue as extremely slow bootup, after which the VM was working fine). Maybe this is your case also?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. aragornii

aragornii Junior Member

It fails initially because it Windows says the computer does not have a TPM. (I believe this is a hardware check that can be disabled.) After that, Windows needs to make a small partition for the initial part of the boot-up, and a larger encrypted partition that stores all of the operating system and files. I've been hesitant to go to that step for fear it will erase my primary Mac partition.

Has anyone had success using Bitlocker partition on a Mac? Is it better to use Windows with Parallels purely in the Mac environment rather than reading a Boot Camp partition?

4. PropA

PropA Bit poster

5. aragornii

aragornii Junior Member

Thanks very much for responding. I am using the same versions of win/parallels as you. I tried the instructions on that site, but when I try to turn BitLocker on and it goes into "checking your system's configuration", I get the error message "bitlocker could not find a target system drive. you may need to manually configure your drive for bitlocker".

Did you have to do anything other than disable the TPM to get this working?

6. jaybna

jaybna Bit poster

Does anyone know the performance hit likely to be experienced with Bitlocker turned on?

Thanks in advance, Jay