Using bootable OS X Server partition as a VM?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by mitchcohen, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mitchcohen

mitchcohen Bit poster

I have a second partition on my Mac with Leopard Server (and a third with Snow Leopard Server). I have these for occasionally testing certain features. I'd like to avoid rebooting to use them, but to allow occasional native booting I can't destroy them and convert to a traditional VM file.

I know Parallels Desktop can create a VM with Leopard Server. I also know Parallels Desktop can use a Windows (Boot Camp) partition as a VM. My question is, can I also run a Mac operating system from another bootable partition as VM?

From reading this forum I understand Snow Leopard Server isn't working as a Parallels Desktop client yet, and that I can deal with for now. Essentially my question only covers Leopard Server at the moment, with an eye towards the future.

Thanks!

2. zmonster

zmonster Member

I have the same question. When I try to create a new Parallels VM it prompts me to either create or choose an existing Image file, but it won't seem to allow me to choose the installation of Snow Leopard Server I have installed on an external drive.

3. RayS1

RayS1 Bit poster

I am bumping this discussion after all this time.
    My wife wants to create a vm in Parallels 11 that will use the bootable 10.6.8 server partition in her IMac. I already know that I can do this with a windows drive, so it should be possible with an OS X drive. I've attempted to search these forums for hours, but my search "foo" is not strong. please help.

4. ManojK@Parallels

ManojK@Parallels Parallels Support

Kindly follow the steps as per this article and let us know how it goes.

5. RayS1

RayS1 Bit poster

Thanks, but that article does not seem to apply. Let me restate: I have a bootable Hd running sys 10.6.8 server (Snow Leopard) that I need as a VM for an IMac running 10.11.3 El Capitian using Parallels 11.1. It should be simple and straight forward, but I can't make it work. Since running Snow Leopard to take advantage of Rosetta and runs older necessary programs is a standard use for Parallels I'm puzzled that my attempts to search these forums have been, so far, unhelpful.

Thanks for looking,
    Ray

6. RayS1

RayS1 Bit poster

Hi again. Let me restate the problem: I want to have 2 bootable drives, 1 running Snow Leopard Server, the other running El Capitan. When booted into El Cap I want to access Snow Leopard Server through Parallels 11 and use older programs not supported by El Cap. It seems to me that it should be doable, but I can't find how to make it work, and can't find a thread to search. If this question belongs in another thread I'll gladly move it. If it can' be done, will someone please tell me so and I'll quit trying to find the answer.

Ray

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You cannot use a OS X partition in Parallels the same way you can use Bootcamp Windows (booting the same partition natively and in Parallels). Although theoretically it's not impossible, the fact is that Parallels does not have that feature implemented.

8. RayS1

RayS1 Bit poster

Thank you. I will expand that answer include 2 separate drives and not just partitions. Looks like my wife will just have to lower her expectations.
    But then she settled for me.

Ray

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Partitions, drives, volumes (what OS X calls them), for all intents and purposes of the question, it's the same answer.