Using existing Virtual Partition into a Real Partition?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mecoolai, Dec 14, 2006.

1. mecoolai

mecoolai Junior Member

Since the new beta allows for the ability to use an existing Boot Camp Partition, my question is...

Is there any way to use an existing virtual partition image and convert it to a Boot Camp partition? Otherwise you will have to reformat your laptop (such a hassle). Let me know!

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

You don't have to reformat to create a bootcamp partition, but if you already have a VM, why do you want to move to a physical partition? If it's to use bootcamp, you can create a bootcamp partition (FAT32), install XP, then copy the contents of your virtual HD to the partition, repair the installation, and run via direct boot. If you are not running the corporate version of XP, you will need to reactivate. You will then have two XP installations, one that you can use in Parallels, and the other you can use via direct boot. If you attempt to use the same copy for both, you will have the problems with it that everyone else is complaining about here.

3. rcarver

rcarver Junior Member

is that not the point of the new Beta, to be able to run the same version of XP natively through Bootcamp if needed and also in Parallels for less intensive operations.

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

I'm really not much of a mind reader, so I don't know what was in the designer's mind when direct partition access was implemented, but for myself, no, it isn't about trying to dual boot a partition.

I'm a Windows software developer, and I run Win2k wherever I can. When MS came out with XP and their prove-you-aren't-a-criminal-every-time-you-start activation thingie, I refused to play because I think the concept sucks. MS activation is one of the reasons I've gotten into the Mac (and once I did, I decided i like it). So their anti-piracy effort has basically lost them a customer. Ironic, isn't it?

In any case, if you aren't running a no-activation-required version of Windows, dual boot requires a set of activation files for each environment, and requires either manual switching (a PITA I won't put up with) or direct support for swapping all necessary files directly in Parallels, which currently doesn't exist. Also, the tools needed to get the direct boot to work in Parallels prevent MacDrive from working in bootcamp, and I find MacDrive essential.

So for me, two installations is the way to go.

Now if Parallels provided a Windows driver that would access .hdd files (via MacDrive), my life would be a bit easier, but that is probably not their highest priority.

Life is a tradeoff.

5. MacDadaVM

MacDadaVM Bit poster

I did this successfully after spending some time on it. I posted the steps I took here:

http://forum.parallels.com/thread6433.html

Best of luck!