Using X11.app with Solaris 10 and Java

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by goron, Apr 22, 2006.

1. goron

goron Junior Member

I've got a Mini running beta 4 of Workstation with Solaris 10 installed.

I use X11.app on my G5 to connect to the Solaris virtual box like:

ssh -X solarisbox

and from here I can run most X11 apps from Solaris on my G5's cinema display. Sweet.

Unfortunately, I get a problem when running Java apps this way (including smc, appletviewer, and so on). I just get a very wide and thin X window with a white top half and a grey bottom half.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with fonts, but could be something else.

Anyone have experience with this?

2. goron

goron Junior Member

Hmm, rebooted (Solaris) and tried again with ssh - Y and all is well now.

Not sure what was going on there.

3. goodtime

goodtime Bit poster

ssh -X and ssh -Y

What is the difference between ssh -X and ssh -Y?

I was using ssh -X but ran into similiar programs with Java apps on my Apple X11.

Haven't tried -Y yet or heard of it before.

I did get xhost +linuxip and export DISPLAY=linuxip:0.0 to work, but after awhile it quite working, but it did seem more compatible than ssh -X (with OpenGL Hardware acceleration).

4. goodtime

goodtime Bit poster

After problems with host + and export DISPLAY commands.

I was able to get SSH -Y to work consistantly.

From Apple's X11 xTerm:

ssh -Y username@linuxipaddress

Then:

gnome-session

Works pretty good.. And the 2D video is excellerated. I found that Apple's X11 works better under rootless mode rather than full screen (minimize can interact with the OS Ten dock) I am sure there are ways to replace Xquartz Window Manager and use KDE's, but very happy just to get faster 2D Video. OpenGL games are still slow, 3-6 frames per second. But Gimp. Gnone, KDE, and Open Office run really well and it gives a great GUI that is Gooey like OS X; cursors animate and the screen effects are smooth.

I don't know much about SSH, but I've experimented with settings and found this works well:

From Apple X11 using Xterm:

ssh -2XYC username@linuxipaddress

then start the linux application

Run rootless then minimize the Xterm session window. If you want, you can hide the Ffinder desktop by either quiting the Finder or hiding its functionality using TinkerTool. This way you can still use the Gnome or KDE Desktop. You can even use it with Apple's Dock. This makes it very seamless and fast!

Goodtime

BTW It looks like not many users follow up on this forum, which is unfortunate.. ;(

5. goodtime

goodtime Bit poster

Thanks for the ssh -Y, it helped my research my X11 problem and works fine.

Has anyone figured out how to get Audio to forward to the Apple X11 environment from Linux?