V3 crashes on every Parallels Tools install

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by davlewis, Jul 18, 2007.

1. davlewis

davlewis Bit poster

I was running v2.54 totaly error free. I upgraded to v3 (both the original boxed version and the 4560 build from 7/17) and hve not been able to keep the VM running. Any attempt to install Parallels Tools results in a Parallels crash EXC_Breakpoint (oxooo6).
    Code[0]: 0x00000002
    Code[1]: 0x00000000

I have completely uninstalled and deleted all Paralllels folder, reinstalled, rebooted reinstalled the Windows XP VM and tried to load Parallels Tools again witht he exact same crash. When the crash occurs all Parallels windows and menu items disappear.

I paid $79 for v3 only to have my system totally unusable as of now.

Dave...

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

davlewis,

Please try this solution - http://kb.parallels.com/entry/16/460/

3. davlewis

davlewis Bit poster

Cannot read entire KB

The KB you referred to does not come up in a search. The link you sent me to appears to be a screen capture of the KB and has cut off the right side of the text. I removed the folder under the Install Shield folder and tried again and get the same crash. The remainder of the file is not readable enough to determine what you are recommending that I try and remove next.

Dave...

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the KB article that doesn't show up correctly for you and specify what web browser you are using?

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

davlewis are you trying to install tools to existing virtual machine or to fresh installed guest OS?

6. davlewis

davlewis Bit poster

Problem resolved, turn off sharing

I found the solution in another forum post (not the exact same error, but seemed similar). The solution was to DISABLE all Sharing in the VM before launching the guest OS and installing Parallels Tools. This worked perfectly, no errors. Once the tools were installed, I shutdown the guest OS and RE-ENABLED Sharing, restarted the guest OS and Sharing worked.

To answer the last post this was all in trying to install the Parallels Tools into a brand new VM with a brand new install of Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for the help.

Dave...