v4 Upgrade - Cannot finish VM conversion

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by heyjp, Nov 11, 2008.

1. heyjp

heyjp Bit poster

Using Mac 10.5.5, upgraded to Parallels v4.0. Installed parallels ok. But during the VM conversion, it made it to step 3 of 4, progress bar at 75% then it just stopped progressing. The blue bar is animated. The advertisements for new features keeps cycline, but the bar does not progress. Been stuck for 20 minutes.

Called tech support (for $30) and got no help. He wants me to re-install v3.0, although that won't work with the partially converted VM for 4, yes??

Losing hours on a project!!!

Jim

2. JeanVis

JeanVis Junior Member

same here ...

3. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I had the problem where it could not finish either, eventually after some timeout, a the dialog popped up the one saying it could not finish, I clicked on the dialog and was able to see that my firewall was preventing the automatic tools and such from running. Have you checked to see if some dialog in windows is waiting for input? It took a long time before the timeout happened. Not sure how long, but I was able to take out the trash, walk the dog and check email. When that was done, I still was waiting.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. JeanVis

JeanVis Junior Member

I decided to do a completely new install ... I went over to manual update but the virtual machine did not work properly. Besides that I noticed that I had to register Windows and Office 2007 again after all so I figured a completely new install would be even faster than trying to find out what the problem(s?) are.

5. rfsonders

rfsonders Bit poster

Same issue here

Three VM's:
    WinXp
    Win2000
    Win2003
    All have blown apart during the upgrade. Over 24 hours on this and still banging my head against the wall. I have to re-register windows after the VM upgrade, etc.
    Pretty ugly.
    This should have been tested better before release. Plain and simple.

6. bi11

bi11 Hunter

The windows re-register thing is not actually a Parallels issue. That is a Microsoft problem forced on you as a user. If you changed the video card, hard drive and other aspects of your mother board and booted into an existing windows install from before all those changes, you would get the re-register crap on real hardware also. There is nothing that Parallels can do about that, complain to Microsoft that their product sucks under VM software when you change configurations significantly.

7. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Member